1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question's for EDGIT owners.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yourlawnguy, May 27, 2003.

1. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

I've been edging with a string trimmer for 23 years now without any trouble. This year my 16 year old son wants to work with me. I have tried to teach him to use the trimmer but he's having trouble keeping it level and can't seem to get a clean cut vertically. So my question's are:
    1) will the EDGIT help him?
    2) does the line stay inside the disk or does it stick out?
    3) what limits the lenght of the line?

2. Fossil

Fossil LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

Well, I have been using the edgeit for about a year, and I must say I re~~~y like it. I have only been doing this business for about the same amount of time. I use the straight shaft (round) model on one of my shin 270’s. It took a little modification to adjust it when I first inst~~~ed it. There is nothing to cut the line, much like running it without a guard. I also have the shin stick edger, but rarely use it. The bonus for me is you can edge and trim with the same tool. The round head almost acts like a mini mower, and seems to keep objects from being thrown. I do a car lot so flying debris can be disastrous. Good luck. Your site is great.
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

if you havn't already , check out WWW.EDGIT.COM

If the line gets too long I just where it down on some concrete.
    I like it best wiht the line out about an inch from the disk.
    read the part about "following the edge" on the website. Have your sone trim left handed wiht the right hand controling where the trimmer head is.

I will never have another trimmer without and edgit.
  4. yourlawnguy

Does it really help the operator hold the trimmer level?
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

... And always, and I mean ALWAYS make sure he weara SAFETY glasses! There is no edging job in this WORLD worth your son's left or right eye!
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

i supose that it may...the disk is very easily identifiable versus the "immaginary" string that he cant see. I think it helps you know exactly where the string is...if that helps him keep it level, then it may work out.
  7. yourlawnguy

Thanks for the input. I'm still undecided on wether to spend $70.00 on this thing. I wonder what OSHA thinks about it? Would it truly be considered a debris shield?
  8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I get hit with a lot less debri with the EDGIT on my trimmer than I did with factory "gaurds" It also helps keep tall grass from wraping around the trimmer head.
  9. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Yes, I have a curved-shaft Homelite.

The Edgit for a curved-shaft is only $25 - but it appears to be a different animal, having a much smaller disc.

Would you recommend me not bother?

One of the things I like about the comments I've read here on the Edgit is that it reduces debris flying in your face (I really got hammered by small stones in the face yesterday). I would think that the curved-shaft Edgit wouldn't protect as well as the straight-shaft Edgit.
  10. edgit

edgit LawnSite Member
    from Kentucy

I would love OHSA to compare the Edgit to factory guards. The Edgit does a much better job of protecting operators eyes and preventing broken windows than the factory guards.

How much is your time worth? The Edgit saved one of my three man crews at least one hour a day. They were worth at least $100/hour. (This was ten years ago.) That means I paid for the Edgit the first day.