Questions for guys using Star-Seal Cheap model..

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by MisterRatburn, May 9, 2008.

1. MisterRatburn

MisterRatburn LawnSite Member
    from NY

This is for the guys who have experience using the business-in-a-box cheapo model from StarSeal of Ohio. Some of the "senior" members seem to forget what it's like to start out, so please keep your flaming about this unit to yourselves because I've already seen it in just about every other thread where the trash-pump units are mentioned. We know you don't approve of those units.. but some of us are not wealthy enough for the professional units.

I live in the Northeast and will be using a coal-tar emulsion sealer. I want to know from the guys who have the square-tank units how you mix your sealer. What additives do you use? How much water do you add. Can these machines really take sand and still hold up for a season? I'd be satisfied if the pump made it through half a season before needing replacement because they're so cheap.

Someone mentioned that with these units it's better to seal the drive and broadcast sand after. How would one do this??? You can't walk all over the drive after you've sealed it! I can't figure out what he meant by broadcasting sand after you've spread sealer.

Also... tell me please, what hand tools and other accessories are absolutely necessary at start-up. Remember.. I can't afford to go out and buy the best ANYTHING yet.. so be reasonable. What's the best brooms..spray nozzles and setups.. blowers at a bargain..etc.

Also, for residential driveways.. what do you guys charge?

Thank you in advance for the help!

2. Coater

Coater LawnSite Member
    from MI.

Sure, they will work Fly By Night guys use them all the time. Will they do a drive the correct way? Ask one of them if you can catch them.

The sand will roll out as soon as a tire hits it when applied that way. You will have time to make it to the bank and get your money, but the sand applied this way will be gone in no time

You can not mix a min 3lb to 6 LB. of sand per gal mix without a powered agitator. The thick material with additives could not spray with a trash pump. You can not continue to agitate while applying sealer without a powered agitator. The trash pump will only allow you to spray or circulate material but not both.

3. Coater

Coater LawnSite Member
    from MI.

You, guys keep wanting to believe in this song and dance. There is no ocean front property in AZ. This is why Fly By Night guys drive the best automobiles a round.. There's a sucker born every minute. I could make way more money selling you guys a lie then sealing. MMMMMMM maybe I will. I probably could sell you anything.

4. MisterRatburn

from NY

Pffft! Kiss off! I said I didn't want to hear from your types in my original post. What makes you so bitter anyway? You should be happy if you're such a success!

5. MisterRatburn

from NY

:cry: Cry me a river Coater! You friggin baby!

6. Wow you guys are big on this sand thing and spraying units,whats wrong with just the sealer?

7. Coater

Coater LawnSite Member
    from MI.

I'm just stating the truth. You guys keep asking the same questions and we keep telling you what is right and what is wrong. The answer is the same no matter how many times you ask or if you change up the question, the answer is the same!!!!

If you want one buy one, Why keep asking? It will seal a drive. not the correct way, but it will be black.

8. Coater

Coater LawnSite Member
    from MI.

I didn't claim to be a success. I'm just another poor slob working for pennies, and With big payments.
    If I ask a question. I don't get mad when the answer isn't what I wanted. If you feel like you can do a good job with one of those systems then go for it. I would put it together myself though. Prob 1/3 of the cost of them on ebay.
    A full sweep agatated tank is the key componate.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I was out last weekend and I was sealing in a nice neighborhood with my trailer mounted 550 , full sweep sealcoater. And a guy shows up right across the street with a square plastic tank in the back of his pick up to do the driveway across from be . The homeowner across the street came to meet his guy , talked a bit with him , and then came over to ask me some questions . All i did was explain what my machine did , my mix , and why I was applying with a broom and not spraying . I showed him the sand in the mix . He looked at the job I just did , then he went back to his guy they talked for about 10 minutes and the guy drove off. I ended up doing the job for $ 100 dollars more . The homeowner explained his reasoning to me as follows :

My equipment looked good , it didnt look like some home made rig

I had my license ( required in Maryland )

My explanation of the mix with sand suspended and constantly mixed made logical sense

Brooming vs spraying didnt get all over the place.

I just started out with this 550 rig , I did my reasearch , the unit is over 10 years old and still in great shape . I looked at cheapo rigs , but long term they cost you more .

But , back to your original question , you use the same additives that you would use in a pro tank , you add as much sand 4 to 6 lbs per gallon , you dont throw sand on the sealer , the water you add is varied as per manufacturers recomendations .

You wont spray as much as you think , buy cheap and get cheap .

Blow a cheap hose on the box spray rig and you will be paying a lot to clean up

10. MisterRatburn

from NY

Thanks for the reply! I agree that the square tank looks shoddy... no argument here! It seems to me like alot of guys with spray units use a brush anyways. I know a couple of guys who do this. They say it isn't much more time consuming anyways. So if the trick is having a good tank... a tank that agitates and mixes.. that's no problem with me. Can you at least use a cheap pump to apply the mixed sealer before you spread it with a broom?