1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Questions for Hustler

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lawnstriper23, Sep 28, 2006.

1. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

PJ,
    Question, why does it seem as though Hustler nickel and dimes their customers? Examples would be:
    ·
    Why can’t Hustler just add an hour meter to the machines instead of making the customer buy one? This is a basic item that is needed to keep maintenance up to date and probably costs Hustler $5.
    · When advertising a mulching “kit”, why doesn’t the kit come with the mulching blades since the blades make up a big portion of the mulching process?
    · Why can’t the blowout kit be standard on these machines (MFT)? It seems as though many of us owners have the same issue with clippings coming out the front of our machines.
    · When buying the bagger (MFT) you must purchase the bagging blade separately?

I’m sure there are more items to add to this list, but these are concerns that I am having with my machine. I am not trying to be a jerk or crybaby, but I just forked out 4K for a machine that I will need to keep forking out money till I get the exact setup that I am looking for. I am inclined to sell this machine to look for something else. Please let me know your thoughts on these issues……………..Striper

2. 46mack

46mack LawnSite Member

let us not forget the armrests. i have added all of the other equipment you mentioned also

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We could add every option you have listed here in this thread, but at what cost? not everyone needs them, not everyone wants them.
    If we added them from the factory the mower would cost more for you to buy.
    We made the decision to offer these items as accessories so each individual owner can make the decision if they want them.
    Mulch kit's..... we offer 1 kit for different size decks in many cases, this is why we do not offer the blades with the kits, some of our kits do include blades.
    Mini FasTrak anti blow out kits are different for both decks (36 and 42), if we included them in the mulch kit we would have 2 different mulch kit's, also, not everyone needs this kit.
    As to the bagging blade for the catcher, I will ask that question to our product manager, I honestly don't know why we don't put it in there.

Pj

4. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

I don't buy it. I can't think of a person in their right mind that passed up a Hustler becuase he couldn't afford the $5 hour meter, or absolutely didn't want it on his machine. It's just being cheap. Period.

I would think from a warranty stand point Hustler would even want to know how many hours are on a machine.

gpshemi

5. lawnstriper23

I think that Hustler should refund all of us owners for the $31 they charge for an hour meter. This is like buying a car without the odometer in it. It is a simple item that should be included with every machine sold. Who in their right mind wouldn't want this item? Easier to keep track of hours for routine maintenance.
    Now the mulch kits and bagger are different stories. I know there are different size decks, so why not make different size kits. Instead we have to purchase a block off plate (or referred to as a "mulch kit") and blades separately. Just doesn't make sense to me. The blowout kit is yet another story. There are many owners out there that are having issues with the clippings blowing out the front of their machines, but a separate blowout kit needs to be purchased to remedy this issue? I just got done dropping 6 yards of fresh mulch in my flowerbeds and every time I cut I have tons of clippings in my fresh mulch. What a joke...........Again, not trying to be a jerk or a crybaby about this, but I just talked my wife into letting me drop 4K into this machine and now I will need to go back to her asking for more cash to help get the machine to an acceptable operation level. Probably won't happen so I can imagine my MFT might be up for sale very soon.........................

6. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

I certainly don't think anyone in their right mind could call Hustler cheap. The excellent warrantees they put on their machines certainly cost them $$$, as do the regional representatives and service managers that are so involved and readily available to respond to their customers when needed. I would much rather have Hustler spending their money on this kind of service and support than get a free hour meter on my machine.

Mark

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

My Super Z came with an hour meter....if it didn't, I wouldn't cry about having to buy one.

8. lawnstriper23

Nobody is crying here so quit wasting your time taking pot shots. I am simply trying to make sense of why an hour meter is so hard for Hustler to include when purchasing a new machine. Open up your fricking maintenance guide and take a look at what measurement they use as a general rule for maintenance, HOURS........This would also be good to have for warranty claims should any arise. I am just stating that Hustler should add this simple little device to help out the customers who fork over the cash for the machine and warranty. Now do you understand what I am getting at or shall I continue....................

9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you should continue on to your local dealer and buy one. You guys crack me up with all the whining. Don't you have a watch? LOL

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I would have to agree. An hour meter should be standard on ALL riders, whether commercial or not! That goes for all manufactures, not just Hustler!