1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions for I.A.F.F. members

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JClawncare, Mar 29, 2006.

1. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

I.A.F.F. Local 1791
    Johnson City,TN

I work for the city and I have been looking at putting in a bid for mowing that the city contracts out. Has anybody had any trouble or any big stinks arise for doing the same thing and getting the contracts. Either from the Fire side or from the City side?

I do have insurance,business lic. etc....
  2. 24ON48OFF

24ON48OFF LawnSite Member

Are you trying to contract all the cities mowing or just a job at a time? I would think if you submited a bid in a legal bidding process and the city awarded you the contract there should be no prob. Are you thinking that another bidder may try to raise a stink and say they just gave it to you since you are an employee or something? Just curious, your not bidding to mow the yard at the station are you? You guys mow your own yard right?

Local 1293:waving:
  3. justinc

justinc LawnSite Member

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. As long as your not taking union jobs away, which they probably are not.

Local 42 KCFD
  4. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

The city I work in has a rule that no city employee can bid on any city work. We can not be sub-contracted on any city work either. City Manager says this would be a big conflict of interest.
  5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. That's why my business is in my wives name :p
  6. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

24ON48OFF-1. No, not all of the contracts just a few of them.
    2. Yes
    3. No, We mow our own yards with the finest push and residential mowers that money can buy. Low bid wins again.:usflag:

Firefightergw: I haven't made it to the city manger's office yet to find out if there will be a conflict of interest.

Justinc: No, They are not union jobs
  7. firecapt13

firecapt13 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I cannot bid on town work for my town. I have a friend in neighboring town that is in same situation. The resolve for this is that we bid in each others city and then subcontract it to each other.
  8. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

Local 65 here,
    I was considering bidding on some mowing for the city of Knoxville, but because I am a city employee, I am not able to get on the "Approved Vendor List" Even if my wife was the owner of the busines, if someone realized what was going on, I think it would bring unwanted attention to us.
  9. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

Just check to see if your city has an ordnance prohibiting this, if not submit a bid and see what happens.

Local 416