Questions for Kubota F and ZD series owner/operators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigsnowdog, Apr 16, 2007.

1. bigsnowdog

bigsnowdog LawnSite Member

I have spent considerable time looking at commercial mowers, including Exmark, Scag, Ferris, Grasshopper, and Kubota. I have narrowed down my evaluation to two mowers by Kubota, which I realize are quite different. One is the ZD331 and the other is the F3680.

My application is a 15 acre piece that includes a range of circumstances, lots of rows of trees to go through and also scattered trees to mow around. It is more like park ground than residential lawn, but I want a nice finish in portions of it.

Occasionally I pick up branches that could stall a blade, so the tilt up feature of the F series is very good. On the other hand, the ZD series has zero turn and offers better maneuverability.

Since some of the terrain is not as smooth as you might like, operator ride and comfort are important, also. It seems that the F series rides better than the ZD, but then, in operating them, I am not sure that I would say that in a definitive way.

My question is for owner/operators of F and ZD Kubota mowers. How do you compare these two models? What do you see as their strengths, virtues, disadvantages?

Thank you.

2. bigsnowdog

bigsnowdog LawnSite Member

There was such a long thread on the ZD's that I thought this would get some response....

3. L4L

L4L LawnSite Member

Hello. I own F series as well as the new zd's. I bought the zd's because of everyone's hype about they cut 'so fast'. BS. I started on an F series 20 years ago on an F2000, then added an F2400 and now buying and F3680. With a 72" deck on an F there is not a ztr can come close to it's performance. More like they can do about twice a dixie. If you learn to move your F without tearing turf, and that is just a learning curve...you'll be happy you chose it over the other. ZTR's are for small, small areas, such as side of homes.

Anyone tells you different it is because they simply can't afford an F series, brag as they want. And yards are made to cut with it. More reliable, more accessible, cleaner.

4. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

I never liked the wheel base on a front runner, seems kind of long . Especially if your trying to get a couple on a trailor. Some do have tilt decks I think,not sure if the kubota does.

5. pdawg

pdawg LawnSite Member

My situation is very similar to the original property described here. About the same amount to mow, uneven ground, many trees to go around and under. Did you end up with a F or ZD series?

6. lilweeds

lilweeds LawnSite Senior Member

If that's all you're using it for the f would be the ticket. If you need to transport it to several jobs, need trailer space, or are cutting some smaller stuff the ZD is the one for you. Both are great machines and will cut alot of grass quick.

7. skennedy04

skennedy04 LawnSite Member

I run two ZD's and love them,we cut mainly large acreage lots but also some smaller and the ZD's fit the ticket for me,i think you need to look at what you will be cutting etc and make your decision on that,but both will serve you well.