1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HydroRI, Mar 15, 2005.

1. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

I want to buy an aerator this year to offer the service in the fall and also to use to prep jobs for hydro Seeding. I was in Lesco the other day and the question was brought up about where I am going to buy my aerator. Untill I used this site I knew nothing about PLUGR but all you guys have sold me on it. Of course the lesco rep told me why I should by their aerators and he told me he used something like the PLUGR and the thing bounced all over the place when you went over rocky or ledge areas. Is this true? How does the machine perform in this situation? He also said there are more moving parts that can brake. I'm sure he was trying to make a sale, but before I drop more than 3 grand on the PLUGR 800 I want to hear from you guys for some reassurance. Also has anyone used the Zoysia Transfer Tines? They look much larger and I think they will make more dirt for overseeding and renovation. Any feedback will be appreciated.
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

when you use the pluger you'll know where all the tree roots are :angry: :)
  3. HydroRI

HydroRI LawnSite Member

Does the macine absorb anything or does it send it flying in the air and chew up the tines?
  4. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

Do you have hills? I went with a Ryan 28 and a TurnAer26 by Turfco because we have a lot of hills in North Florida. I did the same thing before I purchased also. I had a man tell me one time,

"IT TAKES A LOT LONGER TO EARN THE MONEY THAN IT DOES TO SPEND IT" Research, Research, Research. :waving:
  5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

The tines are strong but the machine will bounce in the air and sound like its going to brake. The fun part is digging the root from the tine keep a screwdriver in your pocket.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hydro, I tried to send you a PM to help you out. You need to let me know if you want my phone number to discuss the plugrs. I own 2 of them. Had them for a number of years.
  7. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

hey 65 hoss drop me an email at normlfella419@yahoo.com i have a few questions about the plugr and can't pm on the forum yet
  8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the 800 w/ Honda. It does a really nice job and is easy to operate/maneuver. The only time we had any trouble was when the ground was really wet, then it didn't want to propel as easy. Just stay away from tree roots and let go if it starts to jump on you. As far as serviceability goes, it is much easier than chain driven units, it has greasable zerks on the cam that are easy to get to. Best of luck
  9. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

We own a PL800 with the 5.5HP Honda. Very easy to use and does a great job of pulling plugs. We use ours on both flat ground and on Berms. Good maneuverability and overall control. It was a great investment for an aerator.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

An aerator is not meant to go over rocks or tree roots....no aerator is designed to do this....it's just not meant to be. The spoons are very sharp and will pull a plug right oot of a tree root. I am sure that Lesco rep is trying to make a sale. I bought the PL800 last fall and love that machine. So very easy to use. The only negative comment I have heard about them is the fact they are tough to use on a hill, but how many aerators are not? As far as having more mechinics on them compared to other aerators....I doubt that. You will be amazed how simple they are designed.

Ask you Lesco rep if you can demo his unit and find a Plugr to demo and make your decision. Sounds like you have down your research and found all the positive comments about the Plugr.