Questions for Stander owners....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Aug 4, 2003.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still considering buying a Wright Stander, maybe in Fall or Spring. I'd appreciate your comments if you have used one or own one.

1) How comfortable is it? I am assuming it is much more comfortable than a 2 wheel Velke on an Exmark.

2) Would you say overall a Stander is more comfortable than a rider? Or is a rider the way to go?

3) Does a rubber flap work well on the Stander for striping?

I currently run an ExM TT 48" with a 2 wheel Velke. Legs and feet can get quite tired at the end of the day. I'm kinda leery of a rider, many of my lawns are only about 2000 sq. ft. I can only carry one mower, I keep everything on my 8' truck bed and want to keep it that way.

2. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

A great striping mower...dont waste time or money on some after market stuff. Its not as comfortable as most riders, but beats walking and can fit in small spaces.

5. I have a 52” and a 36” Stander. I did fool around with the John Deere (Stand-On), but the operator position and the controls seemed a little uncomfortable. Honestly, I was already sold on the Wright Stander, so I was heavily biased. The Great Dane / John Deere looked very well built, and if I had tried them first, my bias might have gone the other way, though I doubt it.

There are pluses and minuses for both machines. Speaking of bias; I was hugely biased towards “floating decks” (which are really hanging decks). That was the main thing that kept me away from the Standers. But after I tried them on my accounts, it was clear that overall the fixed deck design produces a much better cut.

The coup de grace was reading on this website that getting parts for a Great Dane was not easy, at least some of the time anyway. Forget about that nonsense. I keep a reasonable amount of spare parts for routine stuff, but down-time makes a LCO look bad to their customers, NOBODY really cares why.

So my answers to your concerns are Stander biased:

Comfort: Depends on your size. If you’re a tall guy (say above 6’3”) you may find the controls a little short. On a WB-Sulky setup, you can adjust handle positions somewhat. But on rough terrain, there are no contortions of your legs or back operating a Stander. It’s important to keep your knees bent slightly and the rear tire pressure as low as practical to absorb jolts.

Compared to a rider, even ones with a suspension seat or the Ferris ZTR’s with 4-wheel suspension, a Stander can be much more comfortable. On rough terrain, riding ZTR’s are very hard on your back, versus absorbing shocks and jolts with your legs as the Lord intended. But as stated above, keep your knees slightly bent when things get rough.

The back of the deck on a Stander is not straight. You might be able to attach a rubber flap straight across the back, leaving a gap in the middle. I did attach some ¼” rubber skirting to my decks, but it hugs the metal all the way around the back. That thread, with pictures is at:

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=43787&highlight=question+doubles+about

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If you want something that will save you time, will fit in the back of your 8' bed, that is good on small lawns, and that you can ride around on. Get a Walker :) You CAN get them into the back of a pick-up truck. They are really good on small lawns and cut down on trim time. You ride them. They CAN be used on hills. Only thing is the $$$

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I used to pput a walk behind in a truck, but a stander ( i have a great dane) is kind of jumpy if you hit the throttel hard. I would be worried about it coming back on top of you if you slip or something like that. They are better than a walk behind to use, but not as good as a rider.