1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions for the experienced ztr operators

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by HeyRick, Apr 29, 2008.

1. HeyRick

HeyRick LawnSite Member

I've got one acre of flat smooth lawn and two acres of flat but rough and rocky (big flat rocks that stick out of the ground 2-3 inches) to mow with my new Tiger Cub 61" Briggs (bought the discontinued deal Scag has on). I've never used a ztr and after mowing the yard twice, I've a few questions.

How do I turn without tearing up the lawn?

How do I turn sharply around trees without tearing up the ground around the tree?

How do I avoid scalping?

What height should I mow each lawn at? (fescu one acre, combination two acre)

What pressure will give the smoothest ride/performance in the 24-12-12 rears and 13-650-6 fronts?

How often will the blades require sharpening mowing once per week?

Mulch blades or side discharge?

Anything else I should ask but don't know enough to ask?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Turning takes pratice, use 3 point turns. The tires are too wide to make zero turns with out tearing the grass up.

As I said before, the tires are too wide to go around a tree with out doing damage. When I mow by a fixed object, I make a quater turn to the left, stop and back up to straighten out to continue my line of mow. On the next pass I do the same move on the other side. You end up with no tire damage.

As for scalping. If your ground is not very flat then you have to watch for the ground contures and mow in such a way that the tires don't go into the low spots that will alow the deck to hit the ground.

As for mowing higth. I mow at 3.5-4.0" most of the year. If I get behind for rain then I will up the cut to 4.5. In the fall I will drop down to 2.5" so the leaves have a better chance to blow away.

I run low pressure in all my mowers, 8-10 pounds. I also put tubes in all my tires so as not pop a bead and have a flat.

I put on sharp blades every 8-16 hours of mowing. It depends more on the lawns that I mow as to how much wear the blades get. The mower works better with sharp blades and the grass looks better cut with sharp blades.

I either collect or side discharge.

Do a serch, there is tons of info on your questions. You need to experament with your property to find what works best for you and your area.
  3. HeyRick

HeyRick LawnSite Member

Wow. I've been mowing at 3", no wonder I'm a scalpaholic! Thanks for the tips.
  4. ex lawncare retailer

ex lawncare retailer LawnSite Member

When you get to a spot you know always scalps, hit the deck lift to raise the deck just enough to clear the spot. Takes some practice, but works well. Or do like I do at home, after you scalp it so many times, it's low enough that you don't have to worry about it any more! :laugh:
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

With rocks, this is a pita but once done gtg, I stop and pick these up and throw them far away (like into the woods lol careful where you hurl these things). You don't have to get them all the first time, I usually try and get at least a few every visit thou, it helps because those things sux on your blades.

welps 8am, time to get