Questions for the ride-on guys

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ex-golf guy, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Ex-golf guy

Ex-golf guy LawnSite Member

First, please, please don't turn this into a Z, T, or even PG thing. In your replies I'd be curious to hear which machine you're using, but I don't care why.:nono:

How are you actually servicing your typical properties, once you've had them for awhile and weed control is under control?

Do you spot treat with a trim function of your machine while you're laying down the fert?

Do you go back over the lawn to spot treat after fert? With the machine?

Do you still blanket spray at least once a year, or is it spot spray only once you have a handle on things?

Everybody talks about the increased productivity, but rarely are actual methods discussed. Just curious to hear what everybody's typical stop consists of.

2. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I spread and spray at the same time if I see the lawn doesnt have many weeds I spot spray.I usually will hit the edges first because most weeds are along the edge.I have a spot spray button that I hit if I see weeds while spreading.New lawns get a blanket spray.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We do not blanket spray unless it's needed. Been treating some properties over 20 years, but even a 2-year old account may not need blanket spraying - even in the fall cuz they're nearly weed free.

We very rarely go over the lawn (after we spread the fert) with a backpack sprayer. In fact, our pickups don't even carry one, cuz we can "spot treat" while in cruise control (not getting off the machine). Our ride-ons have "trim function", full spray, and hand wand. So it depends on the property as to which we use. Might treat many acres in a day, but maybe only use 20 gallons all day long. Just depends on what's needed. We very very seldom spread, and then retreat the property with BWC (broadleaf weed control). Hope this helps.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Z

Spread and spray at the same time

Blanket spray 2 times/year

5. Ex-golf guy

Ex-golf guy LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, and everyone else keep the answers coming...

My biggest question was whether or not most guys were comfortable spot spraying at the same time as their fert app.

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

See answers in quote

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i spray the weeds as i go if it is a lawn i can see easily ove r the hopper(i am short) sometimes i spread , then spot treat after to make sure i dont miss any weeds. i do spray the whole yard at least 1 time, most 2 times per year for weeds.

i no longer even carry backpack sprayers except for round up, i can use a trim or full spray to touch up depending on the needs of the lawn and size of the patch of weeds.

hope this helps,

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Permagreen Ultra. I am with Creech. Blanket weed control twice per year. Spread and spray at the same time. Lawns under 10,000 sqft--usually spread with push spreader or hand spray with hose. If narrow gate, lots of flowers, or slope is too steep, I use the hand gun and hose or small hand spreader--then finish flatter open areas with PG.

9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

T3000
    I tried the spot treatment only for a year. Went back to blanket applications spring & fall with much better results. I spread fert and spray at the same time. When doing the midsummer applications I spot treat a weed on the move.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

:laugh: I hear ya!

I tried to spot spray a couple lawns a few years ago and got tired of having to circle around and get weeds!

It was taking too long as I sometimes didn't see them until it was too late!

I think we do a better job and give the customer what they are paying for by blanket spraying!