1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions for Those With Fixed Deck Standers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LALawnboy, May 31, 2010.

1. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I've been looking at finally making the switch over to Standers after using WB's the past couple of years. After reading through a lot of past threads, a lot of guys still prefer the fixed deck to the rapid height. I don't change heights that often, but my fixed deck walk behinds have been easy enough for the small number of changes I do make.

For those with fixed deck Standers, do you have trouble loading the mower onto your trailer? With my WB's, I simply pop a wheelie when I get to the top of the ramp and then lower it down onto the trailer. I've seen guys easily pop wheelies on Standers, but I'm not sure if that would be easy to do when loading it on the trailer.

Also, in my area, the ground is slowly sinking. Because of this, many properties that I service have situations where the grass/dirt area may be 5-8 inches higher than the sidewalk. Like when loading my mowers on the trailer, I simply pop a wheelie with the WB's to get up onto these difficult areas. What would be the easiest way to do this with the Standers?

And anyone who has been in a situation like myself (switching from using only walkbehinds to standers) could you discuss your productivity numbers after switching?

Thanks ahead of time,

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

it is not that hard to ride wheelies with them to hop curbs, just a little know how and trial and error. same with the ramp, much easier than you think. fixed is the way to go imo
  3. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck riding a wheelie with a Gravely Pro stance.
  4. LALawnboy

Grassman, in loading the trailer do you ever have situations where you scrape the deck? And how steady is it to pop a wheelie while going up a ramp?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. clinicalengineer

clinicalengineer LawnSite Member

I usually pull a slight wheelie with my wright as i am cresting the trailer gate. Just enough to make sure i don't catch the deck or spindles on the transition from ramp to deck. And to answer your question, my 36" fixed deck is pretty steady when you do wheelie.
  6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

before i switched to the toro grandstand i was running an exmark tthp with stand on.

productivity is better in my opinion. both in loading/unloading the machine and in mowing.

as for the fixed deck vs. floating deck. i still prefer a floating deck. scalping is greatly reduced with a floating deck. the grandstand is what you call "rapid height" adjusting though. there is a lever on the console and a pin on the side with holes for the different heights. stick the pin in the hole you want and put the lever down.

when loading on the trailer you have what they call a "transport" mode for the deck which raises it all the way up. loading and unloading isn't an issue.

the only time i have any problems getting my grandstand anywhere is large curbs. i have to yet to learn how to pop wheelies on the mower and really prefert to avoid wheelies. most lawns have some access somewhere where there aren't any curbs to worry about.
  7. LALawnboy

How do you like the Grandstand by the way? The reason I'm looking at the fixed deck is I was quoted $4700 for a 36" fixed deck Stander with the 15hp Kawi. Plus, I've heard from many people that the cut is better on the fixed decks. I was at my Toro dealer the other day and he quoted me $7200 for a 36" model Grandstand.
  8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i love the grandstand. out of all the standers i've demo'd this is by far the best one i've come across.

i didn't look to see where your from but $7200 for a 36" seems a little high if you ask me. i paid about that for my 52".

i think you get quality cuts from both fixed and floating decks. when i was running my tthp, i was also running a 36" metro. i got quality cuts from both of them. and the tthp was a floating deck.

now i'm running the toro grandstand and i still have the metro. both fixed decks, both quality cuts. i think the toro cuts a little better than the metro and it does cut better than the tthp did but i don't think it's all because i went from a floating deck to a fixed deck. and i know when i first got my grandstand i did way more scalping than i ever did with the tthp.
  9. LALawnboy

I agree. That price seemed way too high for me. My Toro dealer usually gives me great deals and service, so I doubt he was trying to screw me over. I'm a Toro guy all the way, it just seems that they're awfully proud of their prices.
    Posted via Mobile Device

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Get the fixed deck stander. I have a 32" stander and it is an awesome machine. Cuts beautifully and I have had nomproblems with it so far. I was concerned about weight but that ended up not being a issue at all. Wright makes one helluva machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device