Questions for Walker GHS users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassBustersLawn, May 23, 2004.

1. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering a walker GHS diesel w/ 48" deck.

How have you liked your Walkers?

How do you handle clippings? Are there any good/efficient/not costly methods to handle bagging all day?

Was it easy to go from running mid mount ztrs like Lazers?

Thanks,

Mike

2. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

OK, I will say this and keep in mind this is my opinion only. I do not own any walkers now, but the last company i worked for, had like 12 of them. I think they are the greatest mower in the world for bagging grass. Their impeller system and hopper setup are the best in the world. It mows and collects great in wet conditions also, within reason. Their model with the kobota diesel is the best also. I think that if you are going to bag with them all day long, it can get a little annoying, but all you do is dump the hopper into a bucket that is made for those units, and into the truck it goes. When i need to bag more of my accounts, i will buy one in a second. The only downside i see is the fact that dumping will eat up a little time over the course of the day. Overall, a terrific machine.

-Rich

3. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

I just bought one last week - 25hp, 42" - and love it so far. It is by far the best bagging machine I have ever used. The hopper is not near as hard to empty as I originally thought. I picked up some bags from Sam's Club (55 gal commercial with wide mouth) and it only takes a minute to empty my 9.5 bushel hopper, which is roughly 2 avg yards. I hope this helps...

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Bagging the clippings are a fact of life where I am (British Columbia) and I cant imagine how much more labour I would have to put into a site if I didnt have my walker. I use/abuse my mower every day and it serves me with perfect service every day.

I have a 16hp w/42 " deck and 6.7 bushel hopper. I got the smallest commercial model for a reason. With the lighter model I can take hills that no one else can with a rider and the rutting is kept to a minimum in wet conditions.

If I couldn't use a walker any more, I would quit the maintenance business. For my needs the walker fits like a glove.

The easiest way to handle the bagging that I have found is to get a bigger trailer. Mine is 6x12 and works for me when I am by myself. If I had an employee, I'd have to get a bigger trailer, probably around 6x18 with removeable sides to facilitate the larger volume of grass as well as the unloading of the grass.

5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my walker's too, but I'm lazy :), so, I have built my trailer so that the front, is a ramp, that can be lowered to the floor of a dump unit, that's inside the box of my truck. I back onto the trailer, up the ramp to my dump unit, and back onto it, then dump away. End of the day, I unhook the trailer, and dump the truck load of clipings. I now have a extra wide trailer, so I no longer need to unload everything to do this :)

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

A company that used to do lawns in my area up in Mass. Had that same setup with the walkers. The ramp folded right into the back of the dump truck. Just drive up and dump. Then they got rid of the walkers. The still have one trailer for a toro dingo, because it can't reach in to the back of the dump trucks.

I have ran them. I would love to own one. (just for my yard) But none of the jobs i do, need to be bagged.

There also is a company that makes a power lift and dump kit for the walkers. It can lift, reach over to the center of the truck and dump in 15 seconds.

7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

As far a switching over from a mid mount, easy as pie.
    You will find the Walker is easier to drive too, easier to do straight lines, pick up stuff off the ground, etc.
    The claims made in thier advertizing are true.
    I replaced a 61" Mid mount with a 48ghs, and a 52 sd deck too, and actually increased production.
    Recently bought a gravely 52 mid mount, good for staight flat stuff, but the walker still out cuts it, out trims it and the finish is much better.
    Get a seat upgrade and speed up kit.
    I also use a trailer to dump truck ramp to handle my clippings.
    Only bag 5 out of 50 lawns, and one has a composting pile on site.
    I have my own composting site, and have a nearly unlimmited supply of garden goodies.
    You will love it in cleanup season....

8. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Walkers are good!

Before parting with the bills check out the Toro Z355, much better, stronger machine, cut is as good, and can mulch excellent too, the bagger turbine is better than Walker's, just are more beafy, commercial machine, I just traded mine on the new Toro Z588E, and have my Walker 25hp, 48'' ghs deck, '01 model with high lift for sale, both machines have done the same lawns, the walker may stripe a little better, but I preferred the Toro cut/finish, and better less prone to breakage parts on the Toro.

The Toro can handle the slopes a Walker can't, very low centre of gravity...overall a very nice mower.

So, I have owned both, not trashing Walker as they are great mowers, just in my business I preffered the Toro, worth checking all possabilities.

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I love my Wlaker. I have the 26 hp EFI version with the 48" deck.

I use "Walker bags" that I get from my walker dealer.

They are HUGE, THICK, clear plactic bags that will hold 2 full 9.5 bushel hoppers if the grass is dry, 1 full hopper if the grass is wet.

When full I just pull them up into my trailer and then empty them later in the day at the landscapers waste collection site at my local dump.

10. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

Love my Walker 26hp 48in 9.5 hopper. But I would shop around for the dealer you get it from. The dealer I got mine from charged me $270.00 for the inserts for the 9.5 hopper and made me wait 2 months for know reason and then charged me shipping. Oh by the way the inserts retail for 195.00 msrp. I like mine so much I would go out in the winter and site on it in the trailer.

buba 015.jpg