Questions for Woods owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ilhmt, Dec 16, 2003.

1. ilhmt

ilhmt LawnSite Silver Member

Hi. New member here. I own a Woods 6180 Mow-n-Machine that is about 5 years old with about 320 hours on it. I bought it used when it had 60 hours on it.

My questions are pretty generic. Compared to other comercial type ZTR's, how does this one stack up? What kind of life expectancy can I expect out of this machine with good regular maintenance? Is there any maintenance practices I should perform beyond what the owner's manual says? Is there any trouble spots I should be on the lookout for and/or any tips in the caring or use of this machine? Thanks!!

2. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Woods is similar to Grasshopper. Basically the same. They meet the hughest standards in quality and durability. I don't know what type of engine you are running but with care, it will run forever. I know guys running their Grasshoppers with over 2000 hrs on them. There is actually a guy here intown who is seeing how long his will run and it is over 3500 hrs. Very nice mower to have for homeowner.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If it is an outfront mower then Grasshopper built it. If it is a belly mount mower then Gravely built it. It makes a difference who built it.

4. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

You are definitely right on that. I think the model he listed is the outfront not a mid mount. I responded thinking it is an outfront.

5. J lawn

J lawn LawnSite Member

I love my grasshopper. It is the same basic machine as yours but I have the 21 hp kubota diesel. It is very important to keep the drive shaft greased on the front mount mowers. grease before you use it everytime. Good grease is always money well spent.

jason

6. ilhmt

Thanks for the replies so far. It has the 18hp Briggs (Vanguard) engine and a front mounted deck. It also has duel hydraulic pumps for the hydrostat controlled steering arms. Any and all replies are welcome. Consistant greasing for the driveshaft sounds like a good idea. I've been greasing it every 25 hours (not enough?). I can't remember how often the manual said to change the hydraulic fluid filters but it seemed like an ungodly long time. Would it be worth it to replace the engine if it ever gives out depending on how the rest of the machine is working? How many hours can I expect to get out of that Briggs? It's doing great so far...

I noticed that there was a distinction made between a Gravely and a Grasshopper manufacturer. Which is better and why? Sorry for so many questions but I'm learning a lot and still have a lot to learn.

7. double e

double e LawnSite Member

We have a Woods 2560 midmount-
    We also have 6 Toro Z Masters
    I'll take my Woods over them any day. The Woods is built like a tank. Like everyone else says, take care of it and you'll have a great mower

8. ilhmt

Just one quick bump...

9. J lawn

J lawn LawnSite Member

You are definatly right it only tanks one or to pumps to save a lot of money in the long run. It also doesnt hurt to change the hydro filters once a year as they collect condensation from winter storage int the spring. Never let the oil get darker then a medium brown color for the engine.

jason

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

According to my Grasshopper owners manual, the driveshaft should be greased every 8 hours. You wouldn't want to over grease it ,as it would make a mess, throwing grease everywhere.