1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by scag, Sep 8, 2011.

1. scag

scag LawnSite Member

After 2nd mowing!!!

2nd mowing--38 days 278.jpg

2nd mowing--38 days 279.jpg

2nd mowing--38 days 280.jpg

2nd mowing--38 days 281.jpg
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

From my MG classes, it's recommended to spray a new lawn after the 4th mowing.

As for calibrating a pull behind sprayer, you need to be able to calculate the pump, pressure, MPH and nozzle output. Then after that, trial runs with strait water in a large wide open area will give you the output of your sprayer. The key is to figure out how to always get the correct speed each time to keep your calibrations in check.

Luckily with my spray setup, I use a small Homeowner model mower with a rear mount engine. It has two speed settings on the mower, so I'm always at the right speed weather I've mixed my tank for higher speed, less water per 1000 sq.ft or lower speed and more water per 1000 sq.ft.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

White is right. You need to determine how many gallons water you are applying per 1000 sqft. Do this several times to be sure. Keep the speed and pressure constant. Use ten gallons and divide to get a better average. Use a large square area for best results. Keep your swath width constant. Then you add the specified amount of herbicide to those gallons.

In a practice, you will probably apply about half a gallon per 1000 sqft. Fill tank to top. Count how many gallons and ounces it takes to refill. Naturally you have to measure the area covered accurately. (Like with a 100 foot steel tape or measuring wheel).

Suppose you apply water to an measured area of 10,000 sqft--and--you used 6 gallons.
    6 over 10 equals .6 gals per 1000 sqft.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  4. scag

scag LawnSite Member

5. scag

scag LawnSite Member

First mowing of the season since last falls reno. Thought I would share pics!!! Last app (fert) was done late December. Will be putting out pre-m (barricade) tomorrow. Plan on a speedzone app in mid April.

3-3-2012 034.jpg
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet, Scag.
    Better than sod.
  7. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

That is a pretty amazing result with seed.

Keep on top of it, it still isn't fully grown in yet even though it looks so good.
  8. scag

scag LawnSite Member

Thanks for your kind words!!!
  9. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Keep us updated through out the summer as to how the bermuda is doing keeping out
  10. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

That lookl really good