Questions On A 2005 F350 Dually

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MMLawn, Jan 19, 2006.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Okay guys and gals. I don't "really" need another truck for the business, but have been thinking about getting my traveling crew a diesel instead of the gasser they use.

I have run across a great deal price wise (1/2 the new sticker) on a 2005 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab that only has 11,000 miles BUT it is a Dually and I don't really want a dually, but I guess with this truck and at this price I could alwasy add a gooseneck trailer or maybe add a 22' enclosed if I ever needed to.

Anyway, heres the questions:

1. It has the 6.0 diesel engine, but with it being a dually is that "really" enough for this truck?

2. Did the '05's have some of the problems with this engine that I have read the '03's and '04's did?

Thanks!

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I have an 05 dually with that engine and no complaints at all, except fuel milage could be better. I'm up t 10 mpg

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike,
    The problems are pretty wide spread, there has been more than 1/2 a million of them made since '03. Have an OASIS report run on it, and if comes back clear buy it and don't look back. It still has the remainder of the 5yr./100k warranty on the engine.

The 6.0 has plenty of guts for that truck. It makes 75 more hp and 45lb. more tq. than the last '03 7.3, the 7.3 had plenty of guts for those older trucks back then too. Power won't be a problem for you.

Keys to keeping the 6.0 happy:

1. Get on that pedal HARD at least once a week to keep the EGR valve cleared. Sticking EGR's are probably the most common problem with this engine (I haven't had this problem though) but can be avoided by having 'fun runs' on the on ramp.

2. Run the severe service schedule (5000 miles) for oil and filter changes. As the oil gets more miles on it, the mileage will go down. I get anywhere from 18-20 when the oil is fresh and I take it easy on it, and it will get 16-18 towards the latter end of the interval.

3. Don't chip it. A chip is a direct ticket to voiding the warranty. There are some good chips for the 6.0, but for a work truck, keep it stock.

4. When in doubt, use the Tow/Haul mode on the transmission. If you aren't sure if you have enough of a load to justify using the Tow/Haul, use it anyway, it will prevent lugging which is bad for the engine and transmission. Make sure you are used to the way it operates in T/H mode. It scared me pretty good the first time I used it because there was so much difference between normal mode and Tow/Haul. I love this feature on my truck.

The first thing you should do is get that OASIS report. It will tell you everything you need to know about it.

4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

the load/over haul is just the over drive right?

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Dang that 10MPG sux Mac! That's one reason I thought about the diesel for this crew because the gasser is getting 10mpg and sometimes only 8 towing. The dude with the 6.0 told me he got about 15mpg?

Thanks guys. ST do you have a link for the Oasis Report? I was going to run a Carfax too. Guess I'll go drive it tomorrow then and if I like it run the reports on it and if they are clean buy it.

BTW, Mac.....can a borrow a little change... :laugh:

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sure Mike, come on over and just shake one of those money trees I planted payup best thing I ever did :waving:

BTW- the 10mpg is with 4:10 gears I think you can get 3:73 with out a limited slip and that probably would get you close to 15mpg and is all you would need in 99% of the work towing you would do + mines a 4x4 so I'm losing another gallon there.

7. Smalltimer1

No it is not an overdrive switch. It raises the shift points to around 2500rpms and also engages the compression braking feature, which if you have a good flash, is very aggressive and can stop almost anything.

The Torq-shift is actually a 6 speed transmission, just it doesn't use all 6 at the same time. Normal mode will go into the higher 5th gear for going around with no trailer or empty, and tow/haul will run that lower 5th so you can hold a gear better.

8. Smalltimer1

Get the VIN off the left door jamb and take it to a Ford dealer you prefer and have them run the number through OASIS.

9. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

1/2 the sticker for a 2005? That dealer should be shot ... Do you have his number?

10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, power wise you shouldn't have a problem. I have an 05 f-250, 06 f350, and a 05 f450. The f450 is a dully with a landscape dump, and weighs more then a 350 dully. We pull trailers day in and day out loaded with mulch, skidsteer, etc... and have never had a problem with power. I really haven't had a problem with any of the trucks so to speak, I would buy another one if I need one.