Questions on a toro 48" Z master zero mower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Emerscape, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

I found a toro 48" z master zero mowere for sale in a local paper for about $2000.00 however it said that one of the hydros was blown. How much does it cost to replace a hydro and how good is this machine.. Im not very familiar with mowers.
    thanks
    pete

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

The machine is good if: it has less than 1,000 hrs. on it, the engine has NO problems, the other hydro is fine, and cosmetically is is at least a 6 on a scale of 1-10. Toro Proline is a very good brand for commercial mowers, but the hydro is also very expensive to replace. If you can work the price down to $1,500, I think you have a good deal.

3. Emerscape

thanks for getting back to me.. thanks..im gonna go take a look at it.. supposedly it was only residential use. im waiting for more info to come

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If I may suggest; Get the model and serial numbers off the unit and call a dealer and price the cost for a replacement hydro unit, They can be expensive. Also think about this; If the one hydro has blown you can bet there is metal particles through out the entire system ( The other pump and wheel motors) So it's only a mater of time before the others start to fail.
    Even if the system is flushed as needed you don't have any idea what damage has already accrued to them.
    Be Careful on this one !

5. Emerscape

awesome thanks for the help.. can you give me a ballpark estimate of what it might cost to replace the hydro??? i think the company i was working for did one on our husquavarnas and it was like $700 but i dont work there anymore

6. Restrorob

Well I tried to look up a hydro, But we are no longer a Toro dealer so the pricing has since been thrown out. But if I had to guess I'd say in the 600.00 to 800.00 range as you stated.

7. Emerscape

talked to the guy on the phone.. the machine is an hour away so just wanted to get a suggestion or two before i go look at it. The guy told me that it was residentialaly used, he has replaced one hydro but the other needs to be replaced. Said he can give me the serial numbers. Said the machine was a 2001 . What do you think?

8. Restrorob

Think about this; If the one hydro has blown you can bet there is metal particles through out the entire system ( The other pump and wheel motors) So it's only a mater of time before the others start to fail.
    Even if the system is flushed as needed you don't have any idea what damage has already accrued to them.

If this unit has been used by a homeowner and has had one pump replaced already and now needs another there has got to be something wrong ?
    And thats probably why the guy is trying to unload it.
    I own a 5018 Ingersoll ZTR thats seen 8yrs. of hard commerical use and abuse and never had any hydro. problems, I know because I'm the only service technician that has worked on it since we sold it.
    Again like I said, Be careful.

9. Emerscape

so i probably should stay away from this one eh? i felt the same way but i really need a fall cleanup machine and a mower for next year and havent found anything and cant shell out the money for a walker or husquavarna

10. Restrorob

I understand where your coming from, I've been piecing together peoples old worn out junk to mow my own yard for 14yrs. and just ran across the deal on the Ingersoll so I finally got a decent machine now.
    But you have to ask yourself is it worth taking a chance on and if another hydro. part goes out can I afford to get it repaired.
    I'm not trying to talk you out of buying it, Just given you my thoughts on it so you can make a your own decision.
    Btw; I only paid 300.00 for mine and mowed my neighbors yard 3 times so far at 75.00 a pop and my own 3 times and my dad's 2 times so if it blows it blows I havn't lost much.