Questions on building a patio

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by peterparker, Apr 18, 2005.

1. peterparker

peterparker LawnSite Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me out. I was entertaining the idea of expanding my patio, currently just poured cement. I was going to use 4x8 pavers, the total project area would be approx. 160 sq. ft. Right now, this area is covered with 3/4-1 inch rounded stones. Currently, the cement patio is about 4-5 inches higher than the rocks near the cement, and about 2-3 inches higher on the opposite end where the pavers would end.

So now, my questions. I've read that a 4 inch base is relatively standard. If my pavers are approximately 2 1/2 inches tall, and I laid down a 4 inch base, this would be above the current patio. I live in a townhouse, and the association rules dictate that it would have to be the same height as the current patio. I was wondering if a 4 inch base is absolutely mandatory. I was going to tamp down the existing stone and work on top of that. I'm not sure how much base to lay down and what I should use.

I'm hesitating to pull the stone out and dig underneath it. The ground is very hard clay, and I'm not allowed to bring any heavy duty tools or equipment back there (association rules again).

For a project of this size, can anyone advise how much base I would need?

Any other tips/advice/ideas/suggestions? Given this setup and these limitations, is it even worth it trying to undertake this project?

I know I can pay someone to do this, but to me that takes a lot of the fun out of it, and it wouldn't be nearly as rewarding. But at the same time, I'd like it to be done right.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. kwadswor

kwadswor LawnSite Member

You're looking at 1.5-2.5" of gravel on top of the existing stone and then your pavers to make things level. My guess is that would be plenty.

3. peterparker

Thanks for the reply.

So would I need a layer of sand on top of the gravel?

4. kwadswor

kwadswor LawnSite Member

Yes, you’d still need a later of sand in order to get the pavers level (I left that part out – the hazards of typing late in the evening). You could probably keep that fairly thin (maybe ~0.5"), though.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Remember,clay base or not the pavers will settle .
    by what I read you still have room for a 3"base at least.with clay underneath you want to make sure the patio will drain if water gets under it.Or it could wash under the pavers,With rock already there you count that as part of your base inches.BUT I wouldent
    put a patio on top of 1"round rock,you need it to pack down so do it right and dig out some rock and replace it with small crushed.It packs better and you wont loose your sand thru it as much like you will the round.

6. peterparker

Sheshovel, I was planning on tamping down the existing stone, then layering the crushed gravel on top of that then a layer of sand. Do you think a 2 1/2 inch layer of crushed gravel then an inch of sand on top of that would be enough? Or do you still think it would be better to removed the 1 inch round stones completely?

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well sorry to say but I do think you need to remove some of the round rock at least cuz you will need more than 1"of sand to level your pavers and you need the room.It's ok to cut corners cuz it's your patio,but I do not recommend leaving the round,take out as much as you can while you can or you might have to pull it all up later to fix it because your base wasent right and thats triple the work right?
    Your lucky I'm not telling you to remove all the round and dig down another 4" as well to properly build up your base.So it's your call ,I told you what I would do if I was in that situation.Here's my 1st one .