Questions on enclosures

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Apr 17, 2011.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. Never seen one that way here. Copper coming out of the ground, straight into the RP.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Brass unions?

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I could do that, but doubt we will. We never have issues with it going copper into the BFV. What benefit does the brass nipple give?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

shows you care :p

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No. Brass nipple RINGS show you care.

6. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Here's what I recommend to safeguard that backflow, shown with a stymied thief

wolf-deer-sartore-513176-sw.jpg

wolf-deer-sartore-513176-sw.jpg

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Link from today http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Copper_Wire_Stolen_From_Home_Sprinkler_Systems_120615439.html
    They say copper "wire" but it should be "pipe" I imagine.

Was at one supplier today, they said the city has been hit for 28 BFVs recently, as well as some of the cages. One HOA has been hit for dozens of them as well. I have a buddy who has one property where someone hooked up a chain to a vehicle and tore out 3 RPs and cages. Our area has been ravaged lately by thieves taking them. Since I don't do much commercial I don't see too much of it.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

9. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

Over the winter the local PD called me in for some questions. my boss was puzzled but i knew right away. turned out someone stole about 30 backflow preventors from local HOA's. they caught the kid. (he lived in a complex that reported a stolen RPZ.)

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'll post up pics in a couple days of the new RP and enclosure I installed. But more BFV theft last week. 8 RPs were taken up near me in Monument last Thursday, all were pressurized, not had enclosures (not that it matters anymore). Talked with a buddy at a larger company that has has replaced over 13 RPs this spring, that all had cages. Thieves are removing the cages by cutting out the hinges/locks/bolts, and then leaving the cages. He has replaced a couple that were again stolen within days of the first replacement.

Give me 15 minutes with these f******, and a 3' piece of swing pipe.