Questions on enclosures

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How long did those Toro PVBs last?

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I have many still in service and they get tested yearly but parts are NLA and must be replaced if they fail.

3. Wet_Boots

What breaks on them besides washers and O-rings?

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I've seen the valve handle stems break and pop out and hairline cracks in the body, all due to age and probably extreme temp variations.

5. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Where would you put the gravel?

6. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

this is interesting...seems like the majority of you guys install RPZ's...around here it's probably 95% Double Checks, the main thing is they are installed in the ground...

IMG_3697.jpg

7. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Out here in Southern California I don't know of any city that allows you to use a DC on irrigation. Everything has to be a RP or a PVB. Double checks are only allowed on fire sprinkler systems.

8. Wet_Boots

I like the angle valve.

9. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i figured it was for city code...i don't have much experience with RPZ's, other than replacing with Double Checks...RPZ's are a little more unsightly and have more potential for damage or theft, since they are sticking out of the ground...i still see a few installed around here (new installs) and i'm not really sure why, the only reason i could think of was price...the RPZ is probably a lot cheaper than the Double Check and you don't have to buy a box to put it in, plus the labor to dig the hole

Wet Boots, not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, ha...what are you guys using for the main turn on valve?

10. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I like curbstops when they are down in the ground