Questions on Hustler 48" WB

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by naturescape, Oct 31, 2003.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Right now, I am running an Exmark 48" Turf Tracer, but am VERY seriously thinking about the Hustler hydro walk behind for next year.

A few questions, cause I won't be demoing the product till next spring:

1) On turns, I've heard the Hustler AUTOMATICALLY counter rotates the wheels? Is this true? Seems to me this would just about totally eliminate divots on turns.

2) Can the Hustler be set up to carry a Proslide sulky? I love the smooth ride and stripes I get from the Proslide, and want to stick with it.

3) Is a blowout kit available for the WB 48" deck?

4) Will the Masterchute OCDC fit the WB? Or is another OCDC, if any, better?

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Very Simply, if you feel the cut of the Hustler is good enough for your needs, it will do anything you are asking, and it's control system is ahead of all others on the market. I'm running doubles and haven't seen the need for blowout baffles. The proslides fits fine, but the bullrider will perform so much better.

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler's wb controls are amazing! After no more than 5 mins on the machine, you will have just about mastered them. IMHO, its only a matter of time until they own the market with their wbs...just need to fix their deck.

4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 25/54 Super w-b; I pretty much always run doubles.
    I would not trade it for any other w-b because the H-bar is awesome!
    When mowing grass with my ocdc down the blowout isn’t that bad. But when mulching dry leaves I would definitely want a blowout kit on mine. I don’t have one yet but rest assured I’m going to get one.
    Jeff

5. Doc Pete

I ran doubles on my machine since the day I bought them and I'm still confused about people not liking the cut. In talking with Hustler, they had mentioned that running doubles lowers the blade a 1/4" in the deck and "for their design" that makes a big difference in cut quality. It seems putting the blade lower lets it cut cleaner without having to let grass fold over a bit to clear the front of the deck.......
    I remember my old 33" snapper single blade bagger deck (mid 80's) on the LT tractor when it first came out mowed so bad on soft grass that I called the company and bitched until the gave me a new two bladed deck. The front lip was rounded to allow a better vacuum, but it also would lay over the grass and not cut well.
    Pete

6. naturescape

What is wrong with the deck in your opinion? And darn, it sounds like Hustler doesn't used the "blade bolt through" design either, just a bolt from the bottom?

7. Doc Pete

I changed back to single highlifts on my 48 WB/factory mulch kit and I have basically no blowout. I didn't see much of lack in mulching either......
    Pete

8. naturescape

What is wrong with the deck in your opinion?

9. MacLawnCo

Here is an older post with some other concerns.... click for thread

Hate to bash an already beaten horse, but hopefully if it keeps getting beaten...it will motivate Hustler to get the ball rolling.

I demoed a 54" swb this spring as we were in the prime of our high growth period. I was scheduled to pick up my hustler swb at noon so I ran my 48" 14 kaw metro up until noon. (note, that in the early part of the morning i was dealing with dew on the lawns). As usual, my exmark did an outstanding job and did not need double cutting on any lawns. Once i picked up the hustler swb demo, i was immediately in love with the controls and power, but frankly quite saddened at the discharge pattern. The cut quality was on par with my exmark, but the hustler just couldnt handle the clippings in an acceptable manner like my exmark. It was mainly the clipping dispersal that upset me the most. Instead of an even spread over the two rows, the clippings were just piled on the row two over.

This may not be a problem for some if the client only wants it mowed, but i maintain some of the most elite properties in the area and i could not leave the lawns looking the way the swb wanted to. I ended up having to double cut every lawn that the hustler was on and actually went back to my exmark toward the end of the day.

Ive said it before and will say it again, the hustler controls are top notch. Once they rectify their deck, they will own the market....especially considering their excellent support, reps, and waranty. Its only a matter of time. Until then, my trailer will only haul red.

10. MacLawnCo

Come on PJ, let it through.