1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Questions on Hustler Super z HD Please help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by cimkill, Oct 10, 2013.

1. cimkill

cimkill LawnSite Senior Member

I am purchasing two of these mowers next week with 72" decks, wanted to know how do the flex forks hold up on that size of deck. Also wanted to know what has been going bad? belts, spindles, pully's, etc. Also fuel consumption with the fx1000 engines please any info will be greatly appreciated. I am also getting the bag vac system, so if any of you own that let me know too. Thank you.

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

As you know I have the 37(35) /60 so with that in mind.
    After 400+ hrs Im still my original deck belt.
    I was getting a squealing sound from the drive idler so replaced it and the belt. I have a feeling that the belt is what was causing the noise. That noise started around the 250-300hr mark. Belt is still back up useable.
    Keep an eye on the muffler looking for cracks where the pipes attach. If lifting the machine make sure you do it from the frame, not the rear engine guard. I cant be sure but I think that may of played a part in mine cracking. I had to lift the rear off the ground with my little FEL due to the break on one side failing and seizing on (this was a known fault back on a series of earlier machines) which leads me to, make sure the breaks are adjusted properly inside the hub.
    Go over the machine and check, adjust, torque up and tighten everything before use.

I average around the 1.7gal/hr

I'll be interested in how they work for you. Take some pics n stuff of them on the job.

3. cimkill

Thanks for the response mick. I ordered 4 spare drive and deck belts, along with spare pullys and things I know go wrong and need replacing. I cant get spare anything here so I have 5k set aside for spare parts with this order getting replacement set of tires for all my mowers just trying to prevent things going wrong and me not having a machine running. Will check out the breaks, and do a go over before use. How about the flex forks my dealer said based on the size of deck he wouldn't go with it too much weight for them will cause scalping. Puppy probably could answer that being that he has the 72". I have picks, and video of some of the stuff we cut will have to start up or revive old thread and update third world cutting. I will take pics and post them am also getting a 24x8.5 enclosed trailer on this order so will be a lot more professional looking. Thanks again and anything else you can think of please let me know.

4. Mickhippy

Happy to help mate but Im surprised there arent others chiming in! There have to be more people out there with way more hours on the machine than me!

My point about the breaks is, its not just about the breaks but that you need to be sure everything is properly set up, adjusted etc. Not just the breaks but....... everything!

You work in a higher temp "zone" if memory serves me right. I heard this week that hydros are failing due to the oil boiling. Basically, the cooler isnt adequate for us. But, thats just something I heard and have no proof of it. Its a bit of a worry though as it could be a way to void the mega hour warranty!!!!

I cant remember the hydro oil change times but make sure you stay on top of it. Im coming up to 500hrs and will change the oil then.

As an aside, I mowed a place yesterday, when I first started working there I had a JD X595 and averaged 4hrs to mow it. It took me 1 an 3/4 hrs yesterday. Basically, the machine itself kicks some serious butt and is a good choice for your heavy duty cutting.

I wanna see some vid buddy! Lots of video! ha

Another aside.... The place I mowed yesterday, I got paid today (2 weeks worth) that he handed to me in an envelope. Got a text later saying "OH My F#@King god, I gave you the wrong envelope! Thats my Thailand holiday money!"

I had some fun with him after that, thats for sure! "Oh, Im gonna drink some fine imported beer tonight" or "No, thats MY Thailand holiday money!"....... for example! ha
    The poor bugger went to the bank to deposit his money (a few grand cash), waited in a cue for X time and I had it the whole time! Yeeee ha!
    Poor bugger! His heart would of been POUNDING!

Back on topic......

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I would have told him, "Sorry mate. I gave the envelope to my wife to go shopping. Haven't seen her since yesterday!" payup

6. cimkill

That's funny Mick, cant imagine that poor guy's stress level LOL. The hydraulic oil can boil possibly that is a concern what outside temps cause that? The hottest we get down here is 106 F I that only happens for about a week. Humidity here is the killer more than the hot temps. I have to wait for the trailer construction and as I have said in the past my dealer is awesome, so will ask him to fully check out machines for me also. I asked him for whatever they have seen fail that's weird to send me, and interestingly they put in the front forks on my order. They said on the 72 they have had a couple machines in with broken forks. I will inquire about the hydraulic temp issue too. Thank you very much. Puppy Paws why haven't you chimed in am curious to here your input being we are going to have the same configurations.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Have your guys make sure they blow down through the engine intake screen and all around the engine and hydro cooler several times daily. That will help a lot with high temp issues. The hydro oil boiling doesn't sound like a good thing, and I'd sure hate to have a line or something burst and spew that all over me!:eek:

8. cimkill

Yes good advice riding will put that on agenda after each property. Thank you for your input. Its always exciting and nervous getting new equipment.

9. Mickhippy

Cim, I expect our temps are pretty similar! Can get up to 40'c or so but usually around the 31"c mark in summer. But yep, the humidity is the killer! We're having unusually hot weather at the moment, but dry. 36'c the other day, 34 yesterday which is like 10'c above average this time of year.

Anyway, I was only told about the oil the other day by a friend that knows a lot of people that do commercial mowing. I believe its guys that are doing council type work, parks, nature strips etc where the machine is working hard and running many hours in one hit.
    I really dont know how true it is but its worth asking about. I agree with keeping the screen clean. It does get covered pretty quickly if its dry/dusty. Funnily, only half the screen clogs so dont know whats happening there.
    Im going to be much more mindful of it now but I expect it cleans itself travelling between jobs. I give the machine a good a good blow out with compressed air before the start of each day paying most attention to the coolers, engine and around the hydro pumps. Keep an eye on build up around the right side pump. Also the wheel motors! Pretty obvious to look at all that really!

10. cimkill

Thanks Mic, I will keep an eye on all of that. I guess we do run a little hotter down here once I did the conversions from F to C. Right now we are averaging 94 F and its coming into our cooler months. I hope that is just a freak deal with one machine. I am getting the hustler just based on how well my 2005 held up in comparison to my 2011 ferris nightmare. Apparently according to pupster just the difference in deck size should increase productivity by 33%. With the extra speed maybe I will be in the 40% range which is inconceivable to me having two of them with that sort of productivity will give me tons of room for expansion. Thank's again hey how is your cut problem going has it been resolved yet or still giving you problems?