questions on insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Dig-it Landscaping, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

I need help with types and rough prices on insurance i should have. i'm 18 and run a landscape install and maintenence company that is a sole proprietorship. i thought i should get general liability and commercial auto insurance. i just got a quote for a truck i am going to add to my company it is a 86 f350 beater truck with the bare minimum liability and only working in a 50 mile radius with myself and an employee insured both with sqeaky clean driving records they wanted $1950 a year. is that too much i thought it was. ANY and i mean any help or suggestions are more than welcome. thankyou
  2. nsanesrt

nsanesrt LawnSite Member
    from nc

i am also intrested as i will start my own LCO and would like to know the roundabout figures...i know they depend on who where when how and all that ....

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Best advice is to contact a number of insurance carriers for quotes. Their rates tend to vary greatly from one company to the next. All I do is mowing & minor bed work, my policy is only $235 for 1 million in liability. The truck insurance I get thru my regular auto insurance co.

If you call 5 insurance companies, you'll probably be shocked at how the rates vary.
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

My commercial vehicle insurance with Allstate has $1 Mill for $1650 per year ... per truck

My liability for $1 Mill is $1250 with 4 full time .... I have a solo friend with $500k at bout $400 per year
  5. Mowmoney00

Mowmoney00 LawnSite Member

I would defenitely advise talking with an independent insurance agent...there able to shop around with alot more brokers.

Our insurance runs about 1100.00 for liability with 5 employees and a 1 million/ 2 million dollar policy. Our commerical insurance is for 500K runs 2900.00 per year (and I have a very good driving record too), and that's for (2) Izuzu Landscapers Cab-overs and (1) F-150.

With your age at 18 your insurance may be alittle more expensive. My insurance will not cover anyone driving below the age of 25. Kinda strange isn't it.
  6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

General liab will run $800 -$100. for a 1mil/2mil policy. Truck insurance will most likely be in the high teens per vehicle. would definitely call around and get some quotes. Also as a heads up, make sure your covered for what you do. Landscaping in a broad term. :)