Questions on making a stone parking lot

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ajordan193, Mar 4, 2010.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

I'm looking to add additional parking for trucks and trailers at my shop. Right now the area is dirt and grass. What is the best way to go about making this area suitable for storing trailers so the stone doesn't just sink into the ground and become a mess when it rains?

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

i did that 4 years ago. excavate to the clay then laydown fabric then use stone. The fabric will prevent the stone from getting sucked up in the base.

3. ajordan193

from WNY

In the past the stone I used on the main road wasn't large enough and ended up getting sucked up in the truck tires. What type of fabric and size of stone is best to use in this situation?

4. Drew Gemma

we use a geo textile fabric 12.5ft. by 300 ft cost about 300-350 a roll. Then we used slag a by product of steel making. It is cheap we used 1's and 2's then topcoated with 57 white limestone. Just don't use stone with sharp edges.

5. ajordan193

from WNY

6. Drew Gemma

i think so but you want to go wide because you need to over lap seams. this stuff is what they put down prior to paving a road around here.

7. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you want to use that kind of fabric. Like Drew said, it needs to be wider, and is made specifically for under roads, etc.
    Contact a construction company, that either does concrete roadwork or heavy excavating, they either would have some to sell you or be able to tell you where to get it.
    Another option, and I don't know how expensive it is, is called "cell-tek", there web site is at www.gravel-lok.com.
    If you can get that slag that Drew talks about, that is the absolute best, like he says, put that in and cover it over.

Regards

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I never use fabric under parking areas/driveway, only beds. What I do is scrape off any really soft material such as muck and topsoil and level the area and pitch it how I want for drainage. If it's a wet area I'll put down 3.5 inch washed drainage rock on the bottom but I usually just skip that and put down 3.5 inch process stone...or 3.5 minus as some call it. Smooth and compact and then top with 3/4 or 1.5 inch process. The process is nice because it has fines in it that lock everything together. My vehicle parking area I actually did a little different but it's right behind my house and was pretty solid to begin with. I just put down 3/4 process and then topdressed with 3/8 clean pea gravel. Looks nice but a royal pita to plow...even if you pick up the blade it sticks to the snow.

I really think the fabric is unnecessary. BTW, I just compact by backdragging with my front end loader with all the weight on it..basically front wheels barely touching the ground. I'll go frontwards sometimes too actually.

9. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Might depend on what you have for soil, but if you want it to last and not have to be re-rocking it all the time, then the money for fabric is money well spent.
    A good heavy fabric will keep the base from mixing with your rock and settling away.

10. ajordan193

from WNY

Thanks guys, guess ill see where I can find fabric locally then.
    Posted via Mobile Device