Questions on new account

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WoodBrothersLC, Jun 8, 2004.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

My brother and I just got a call to take care of a 6 acre development area about 25 minutes from our house. It needs to be brush hogged before we go in and mow it, but once that's done I don't know where to start with my estimate. I'm thinking that $45-50 a mower is a very reasonable price considering we'll be using and encore walk behind and a john deere tractor and putting quite a few hours on them. We're also going to have our friend with a "52 Great Dane help us out so that we can get it done faster and we'll split the profit 3 ways with him. If you have any suggestions on how we should bid this job please share them.

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Just curious.. how old is your brother? Is this a commerical account? Do you have insurance? IMO.. based on your equipment it doesn't seem like you are prepared to do this job efficiently or bid competitively. You haven't given enough information for anyone here to give you a ballpark estimate... ie... wide open terrain, trees, fences, buildings, etc.???

Why does it need to be brush hogged? Is it going to be smooth cutting after?

3. WoodBrothersLC

We've definately got the eqipment to take care of if w/ another walk behind as our backup, and there is not a single tree on the property, all it is is a gently sloping area right next to a housing development. There isn't any kind of rough terrain at all, and there will not need to be any trimming done because the contractors just want it maintained. The turf is a pathetic excuse for the "grass" they asked us to cut, consisting of mainly all kinds of weeds. I do pay taxes on the accounts, but I am not insured. I hope that I've given enough information.

4. WoodBrothersLC

We're also in my opinion ready to do this large of an account because we manage 20 lawns and a 2 acre cemetary, and the kid we'll do this property with manages 40 lawns himself.

5. WoodBrothersLC

anyone have any ideas to my post?

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

using all of the equipment you listed, how long do you plan for it to take to complete the job?

7. MikeLT1Z28

oh, yeah, get insurance, immediately.

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

That was my next question.. how long do you think it will take the 3 of you.. using your equipment? I asked if you had insurance because technically when doing commercial accounts it is required. What happens if you break a headstone in that cemetary?

9. MikeLT1Z28

also, is that 45-50 per mower per hour or for the whole job? that's only 150 if you use 3 mowers, split 3 ways, you are back to only 50. hardly enough to cover your expenses by the time you factor everything in.

10. WoodBrothersLC

so, you think that if it took 3 guys 2.5-3 hours at $50 a mower it might be worth it?