1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions on Peltor and Elvex headsets

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jet boater, May 20, 2001.

1. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

I think I'm going to buy a set, but I have some questions that they don't make clear on their websites.

For those of you that own either, what model do you have?

How old are yours?

Do they have digital tuning, seek, and scan?

Do they have station presets? How many?

D. Tom
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have the Peltor's that has the knob tuning. I think this is the 5th season and they have been through it all. The more expensive model, new since I got mine, has digital tuning and pre sets. Ray Kirby has a set of these.

I wouldn't mow without them now. :)
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Yellow Elvex's. Every now and then the knob gets bumped and the stations change, no biggie. Second season on them, will probably last 5 seasons or so. I would love a $150 pair of digitally tuned, with presets, and FM and AM bands ( for those approaching storms and traffic). The comfort of my Elvex's is great, just wish my ears wouldn't be so white!!!
  4. cemeterymower

cemeterymower LawnSite Member

We have used the Elvex (2 pair) rechargable headsets for the last two years, they are well worth the investment, We have 0 complaints. I do not know about the other brand but I need to check on the difference. I paid like 160$ a pair for these back then and I was just a little worried if they would hold up and so far they have been excellent. Good luck. And may the best headset win.
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have the Peltors, these: http://www.labsafety.com/store/product.asp?dept_id=5942&pf_id=38418

They have digital scan, 4 presets, & an adjustable mic for outside noise. Got mine at Grainger for $210 I think but a friend got me a deal, I think they are around $250. I would go crazy(er) without them, I wear them doing most all work, with the mic system I can still listen to the radio and talk to someone around me, I can even talk on the Nextel with speakerphone without taking them off.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Has anyone out there tried the elvex's with the walkie talkie function? I saw a pair at louisville expo last year and freaked at the price of 500 bucks a pair. It seems they allow you to listen to music, active noise suppression for that waaah of the mower, and you push a button on the side and it can cut out your employees music and you can talk to him up to a half mile away. anybody tried them? are they worth it at 1 grand to communicate? Dave g
  7. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using the yellow Elvex battery model and they're OK but I have a hard time keeping them on channel. I've knocked them off several times and they haven't popped apart like someone on this forum said happened to them, but I did break the tuner knob and all I've got left to dial the station with is a tiny nib--still works fine though.

Now I've got a question. Ray on your Peltor's or anyone with the rechargeable Elvex's, have you used a Motorola or other walkie-talkie with a cord plugged into them so someone can call you through them? The catalogs seem to indicate that you can do this but I wasn't sure how it would work with the music playing. I think this would be a cheaper option for you David if it works because those family channel portables are good up to 2 miles depending on terrain and have come way down in price, under $100. That would be way cheaper than headphones with walkietalkies built in to them, but again only if it works. Anyone tried it?

By the way, I've always used a mesh screen face shield which came attached to a plain pair of Elvex headphone ear protectors when trimming and the yellow Elvex radio headphones fit right onto the screen so I've been adding the facescreen to my headphones when I trim--if I get the Peltors or the rechargeable Elvex, I'll probably just leave them attached all the time for trimming--I love having the tunes while I work. Will M.
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Mr.Ziffel, I have not tried the radio (walkie) function yet, it has a plug I just have no use for it.
  9. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I know this sounds crazy, but I wish they came in AM also.The radio shows I listen to are only on AM around here. So, I continue to listen with my Sony.

10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I have the yellow elvex battery model. I love having the radio in the hearing protection--but I do not feel that they held up well. Yes they have popped apart several times. The right speaker volume is much lower than the left (since before I dropped them) and the wiring broke from changing the batteries a couple of times. Didn't help that I melted the battery cradle with the soldering iron.

If hearing protection is usually $25 and a walkman can be purchased for another $25-30, why are these thing so expensive ?

Guess they know they have us unless we want to hack apart headphones and a walkman. Has anyone done that ???

jeffyr :D