Questions on several things

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Roger Wilkerson, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Roger Wilkerson

Roger Wilkerson LawnSite Member

I am taking over my own yard work since i am unemployed and need some opinions.

1. I am reclaiming some of my woods and I bought an Echo SRM210 with a brushblade kit. Will this work out ok for an extended project but not everyday use?

2. I am going to need a 2 blowers, one for the wet heavy leaves and one for after cutting, I have a deal for 200 on a RedMax EB7001, good deal? What kind of hand held would you recommend for the lighter stuff.

3. Going to need a mini tiller to go over the bad spots and reseed them. I have about 1.2 acres of crappy clay and 2 acres of woods. I am looking at the Mantis with the 4 stroke Honda and the Stihl. Need opinions.

I hope to hear soon while the wife is in a buying mood. Don't want to wait until she shuts her purse...lol

Thanks, Roger

2. 1turfguy

1turfguy LawnSite Member
    from ma

roger, you have a good tool budget for a guy w/ out a job.. 1 blower will do.
    the weed wacker is fine for all your needs,and do you need a tiller? i bet a rake will do just fine.

3. Roger Wilkerson

I had a pretty good job before so I had some $ put by. The difference is that now I can buy tools because I have time to actually use them. The rake has been tried and won't begin to penetrate the soil. I want to work some amendments in as well. The wife wants some raised vege beds built and we have 4 flower beds so the tiller will get its use. You are probably right about the blower though. I can use the BP for everyday blowing but a handheld would be easier for after cut and landscape clean up.

Do you have any recommendations for a tiller. I have it pretty much narrowed down to the Stihl and the Mantis (probably 4 cycle).

Thanks

4. hsvhobbit

hsvhobbit LawnSite Member

Since all you're doing is reseeding, might be better to rent a bigger tiller to get the job done quicker. An even more appealing option might be to rent a tractor with a tiller. I've used a decent sized walkbehind tiller and a tractor mounted tiller and the walkbehind beat me to death.

5. Roger Wilkerson

Thanks, I am doing quite a bit more than reseeding though. I will be using to maintain beds, put in new beds, edge and the reseeding. I thought about renting the bigger unit but the areas to be reseeded are fairly small. I took out a bunch of trees and need to plant where they were