1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

questions on shop heater please...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Soupy, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I need to heat an area 40' long x 12' wide. The ceiling is open. It is usually a little warmer in the garage then outside since it is attached to my house. The garage is an addition with one wall being brick, but the rest is just open stud walls.

I don't need constant heat because I don't work out there much in the winter but on occasion I need heat.

I had an old Kerosene forced air heater (torpedo) that worked, but it had a very strong odor. This was pretty old and was handed down to me by my father.

Do the newer Kerosene heaters still have a strong odor? I'm thinking about this propane heater http://www.mrheater.com/productdetail.asp?id=685&cid=168 But a kerosene heater would be cheaper to operate and easier to maintain. maybe this one http://www.mrheater.com/productdetail.asp?id=689&cid=153

The garage has a entrance back door, window, and garage door, but I hate to have to open any of them while trying to heat the area at the same time. But if neccesary, I could get a powerful enough heater to allow for open windows.

Any suggestions on which would be best as for odor and the fact that it is indoor, with just drafts from poor insulation. Has anyone used other types of heaters in their garages. I'm interested in radiant heat if anyone knows anything about it as welll. Like this one http://www.mrheater.com/productdetail.asp?id=694&cid=156

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We run a propane heater no smell and cheaper that k1.
  3. Soupy

If I remember correctly I paid around $16-20 the last time I had a 20lb propane tank filled. I'm not sure the price of K1 per gallon, but I'm sure it's comparable to diesel which is around $2.69/gal right now. The kerosene model runs 11hrs on 4 gal, while the LP model runs 14hrs on 20lb tank (both low setting). I'm not sure how accurate I am on these cost though.

Do you have to open any windows, or doors when your using your LP heater?

We pay 10 bucks to fill a #20 tank walmart is like 15 and up.

Oh k1 is 3.39 a gallon jeez.
  6. Soupy

Yea, I need to check prices at other places. The citgo up the street fills them and it's convenient so I have always went there. Walmart is out of the question because I don't shop there, but I know some of the grocery stores sell exchanges for empty tank.

I'm leaning heavily toward the LP heaters because of the cleaner burning. I'm not going to use it enough to worry about cost difference running them anyway. I still like the fact Kerosene is one unit, but I'm sure the LP heaters are not that difficult to move, or store. Plus it would be nice to have a second tank laying around for when the BBQ goes empty.

Thanks for your help...
  7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got an electric furnace hooked up in my barn yesterday, AAAHHHH!!! It feels SOOOO good to work in warmth!

We had to replace the air handler (furnace-A/C evaporator) in our house a couple of years ago. The contractor was going to haul it off, but I stopped him. I told him I had other plans for it--my barn.

It took me another year or two to run electricity to the barn, but we finally got it done. The barn is 30'x50'x10'. It is insulated, which really helps. I built a base for the furnace with two return vents, and put an elbow on top, no duct work. It is on one end of the barn, on the end opposite the doors. It blows warm air virtually the full length of the barn and warms it in minutes. I didn't permanently mount the thermostat, just got extra wire so I can move it around to see what's going to work best.

I'd bet you could find a HVAC contractor that has an old air handler that you could install pretty inexpensively. With the dimensions of your shop, you might need some duct work.

Next summer, AIR CONDITIONING!!!
  8. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, one more thing! Check out Northern Tool & Equipment (www.northerntool.com), they have a variety of shop heaters.
  9. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Soupy here is the type of heater that my uncle installed in his garage last year only it runs on natural gas instead of propane.

It heats his shop up in minutes, he has a little 8" fan sitting on top of the heater that he turns on to cirulate the heat quicker in the garage and this setup works great.

You can find them in natural gas if your home is heated that way or just go with the propane heater. Either way I think you will be very happy with this type and without any smells.
  10. brunosplace

brunosplace LawnSite Member

in my brothers garage we used a wall mounted type furnace that people usually put in their cabins, we got both sets of orifices with it, so we can use LP or nat gas. right now we use lp because we haven't figured out a good way to run the hard pipe to it.