Questions regarding application???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by swing blade, Mar 8, 2005.

1. swing blade

swing blade LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I own a landscape/lawn care biz and i am wanting to get into fertilization & pesticide, and i want to do it the RIGHT way. I wanted to know what, if any, books or reading material you should suggest for me to read to study up for the exam. I am planning on eventually hiring a licensed applicator to work for me, but right now I just don't have the $$$ and I have customers wanting work done. Also I have a couple of questions.

(1) Is it ok for me to put down fertilizer when planting new plants or am I in voilation of state/federal laws on fertilizer/pesticide application?

(2) Until I am licensed, is it legal to apply pre-emergents like snapshot or similiar product to a customers property?

(3) Currently i reside in indiana, but i work in Ohio and Kentucky as well. Would i have to be licensed in all three states?

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME FOR THE HELP

2. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

(1) Check with the OH/IN/KY Ag department.

(2) I doubt it, but again - check with Ag.

(3) Yes. They probably have a grandfather clause, though, so if you are licensed in one state, they will reciprocate and issue you a license, so long as you can provide proof of licensing and insurance in the other state(s).

3. swing blade

swing blade LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply. I will be contacting the agriculture offices in the morning

thanks again
    swing

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto with what Williams said. Also thank you for trying to do it right. Go to you state dept of pesticide controls web site and spend a few hour reading the regs. The first few chapters will deal with licensing and will get you off to the right start.