questions regarding small walkway

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Scag52inch, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants a small paver walkway put in. It is about 3 feet wide and 8 feet long. My question is this... Will I need to rent a plate compactor for this job? Im thinking my answer is yes because Ill need to push the pavers into the sand. Ill have no problem renting one but was just wondering if you can get away with just a hand tamper.Any advise would be helpful! Oh yea one other thing what would you guys charge for a job like this for labor not the cost of materials. thanks

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag - I definately would rent the plate. It will make life easier. Labor on this with good access would be around $500. A job like this would take me and another guy about 3 hours from start to finish.

Chris

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

You could probably get by with a hand tamper if you really had to... 24sq' is really small.

Cg seems about right for the man-hours(6).

I would consider going a little wider if possible (especially if it is a front entry walk)... 4' or a tad more is much nicer. It is nice if two people can walk side by side.

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

The vibrating action is what locks the pavers in tight to eachother when the sand filters through the cracks. A plate is needed to do the job right.

5. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

Plate compactor is a definite because you must compact your aggregate base, sub-base and pavers after installation.

6. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

thanks guys ill definately rent the plate. im sure it will make it a lot easier.

7. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

While this thread is still on the board I would like to add a question to it. I'm taking the ICPI course next week and really want to get more into walkways and patios. I'm just wondering what most of you use for excavation on small patios and walkways? I've searched in other threads but not found exactly what I was looking for. :waving:

8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have only done three paver walks and or small patios last year but the ones that I do this year I will be using my Dingo to do the excavation work and also transporting materials ie; gravel, sand and pavers and most other hand tools instead of lugging all that stuff around in wheel barrows and wearing myself out faster than needed.

I know at a rental yard around here the Dingos rent for $150.00 per 24 hours plus whatever attachments that are needed.

Hope this helps some.

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

A small walkway like the one mentioned as the start of the thread is very small...could easily be done by a shovel and wheelbarrow...other than that any machine would do....mini or full sized skid steer.

10. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Gilla and Kris. I've been looking at the compacts online, there are definitely alot of options to look at, thanks. :waving: