Questions to ask when picking up my mower.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mcwlandscaping, Jul 29, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I am picking up my new eXmark today (the one listed in signiture) and was wondering if there were any questions that I should ask the dealer before I take it away. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. mcwlandscaping

I may have to wait till tomarrow to pick it up so it gives me more time to establish a list of questions.

3. mcwlandscaping

Also, anything special I should know about the mower before using it. Like things that may screw me up or something. Any input is helpful. THANKS

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It really depends on what aspect you are asking in. Is this your first walk behind? Have you ever actually used one before? Or, are you asking more along the lines of the brand name and dealer support?

5. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

Get him to show you how to change the blades, if you don't already know how that is. Ask what the oil capacity of the engine is, buy a set of spare blades, and change them often.

6. mcwlandscaping

To Runner, I have used it before and I like it a lot. I am asking more along the lines of when to engage blades, how fast, etc.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Wheres the seat.

John :waving:

8. mcwlandscaping

This will probably sound stupid since I don't understand what you are taliking about but I am getting it with a Velke X2. Told ya!!

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Good Luck :cool2:

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would hold off using the sulky in tight areas and for your borders for a bit...atleast until you get used to the machine and pretty much have it mastered. When engaging your blades, if it an electric clutch, run your rpm's up up to about 3/4 and engage. When disengaging, lower the rpm's down to an idle and allow them to slow down first. Then, disengage. This save your clutch life. Also, always make surevthey are disengaged when crossing curbs and such.