1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Questions you should be asking an accountant.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by StBalor, Jan 19, 2007.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Just starting out? need an accountant? Seen alot of questions here lately about acountants and taxes. Figured some of you guys might want to post some questions the we should be asking our accountants. and what we should expect from them.
  2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

How can I pay the least ammount of taxes legally!!?? hahaha
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Find a way to incorporate as much of your daily lifestyle into your business so you can write off the expense.

1. Wanna four Wheeler, buy a sprayer tank for it, claim it ont he business.
    2. Do you watch Home and Garden or Hardscape, Irrigation DVDs, write off your TV and DVD player.
    3. Use an IPOD while mowing, write it off.

This is about the primary way to reduce your tax liability, find ways to legally reduce your income.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno as far as questions, man...
    Way it worked in my case, I did my own taxes until it got to that point I couldn't take it anymore.
    By then, I had questions LOL!

But what I can and DO recommend is ask around your area, as you will want to try and find a small business tax accountant, preferrably solo or small business him or herself.

First they are likely to be reasonable, and also they will be more understanding of your own situation.

Stay away from the big, well known guys.
    Steer towards the little known, 1-2 room tiny cubicle office way down this road around the back of the parking lot where no BIG business would dream of existing type.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

you can write off anything you use for your business on a regular basis. Computers, Repairs, Travel, Dinners, home office, uniforms, internet, family vehichle, as long as it is used for business like using it to give estimates. and the list goes on and on.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Ask him how to set up your business so that you pay a minumum of taxes of any kind. You want to try getting around the SS part since that takes a big bite.....unless you want to start accumulating credits.
  7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

how much towards retirement each year to max out return
    itemize every deduction
    depreciation of equipment