questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by texas, Feb 10, 2006.

1. texas

texas LawnSite Member

i am new to this buisness so if my numbers are REALLY off dont get mad.

1.i thought of these prices ????
    a.Small Yard-under 1 acre
    21 inch wb=70/hr
    36/48 inch wb= 60/hr
    +5% for gas

b.Big Yard
    40/acre for yards over 9 acres
    50 acre for yards 9 acres or less
    +5% for gas

$10 trimming

2.can you make stripes without a stripe kit?

3.IF i would EVER grow into a large buisness, what am i looking at doing to keep it up?

4.i already have a 48wb strimmer weedeater and blower. is this enough?

5.would a 12*5 trailer work?

6.once i expand what is some cheap, quality zrts and bigger wbs?

2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Welcome to LS. I don't think that anyone is going to get mad if your numbers are off. The only thing that I think that people are going to say is the same thing that I am and that is do a search. Using the search option you are going to find tons of useful info. I hope that helps. Good luck with your new biz. What size yards are you going to be doing on avg? Question: If you have a 48" WB why would you ever mow 1 acre with a 21"? Pricing: What does your market allow? What are your expenses? What kind of profit do you want to make? Again, Good Luck!

3. texas

texas LawnSite Member

most "small residentials are 1/4 acre and some yards ive seen go up to maybe 10 acres. i have no idea what sizes I will be mowing though. i am sending out flyers tomorrow. for the 21" that was just to say in an emergency or the like

How do you measure square feet so maybe i could price like that?.

Thanks!:)

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

I don't price my residential lawns based on sq ft. I look at a lawn and determine about how long I think that it will take me (mowing, trimming, edging, clean up) and I price it accordingly. I do measure other things like aeration, dethatching, mulch etc. For that I just use a measuring wheel. IMO I would stay away from the 10 acre lawns. Why do them? If they are going to take up a lot of your time you would probably be better off trying to pick up a few more of the 1/4 acre lawns. They are probably closer to each other and you could probably produce more $ that way. Besides, you are not going to want to walk 10 solid acres anyway in the middle of the summer when it is 100 degrees out. As far as the 21", I do the same. I have a 21" that I have on the trailer for just in case. I have a back up 33", so if it does happen at least by the next day I have a little bit bigger of a machine. :)

5. texas

texas LawnSite Member

what is some more equipment for 5000 sq. ft. lawns for cheap? payup :confused:

thanks

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they are a sponsor here, good reports on there mowers.... any commercil 36 will help increase your productivity over a 21... as long as gates arent a problem... some 36 inchers really wont fit through some gates

7. rick w

rick w LawnSite Member
    from 8

where in Texas are you located?

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

from NJ

yeah, daveintoledomy has a good point. My 36 is my favorite machine.