1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ToddS, Nov 30, 2003.

1. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

I am starting a lawn care business in the spring for the first time. I have read most of the posts, but have a few questions. As far as insurance is this a must? If so how much is typical for the industry? Also I have seen some lawn care business say that they are licensed, insured and bonded. What does bonded mean? What is the best way to market/advertise your business for potential customers and what is the best time to do this. I live in the Atlanta area and the cutting season has passed. I have made flyers that I am going put on potential customers mailboxes to help advertise my services, but didn't know if people found that this works or if there are other ways to market your services that you found worked best. Lastly, since I live in the Atlanta area, has anyone worked with a dealer in the area that they have found is reliable as far as purchasing equipment? Thanks

2. TOGLE2005

TOGLE2005 LawnSite Member

I to am starting in the Atlanta area Next year, and my name is also Todd. We have found a really great dealer in the forest park area. Campbell's Equipment (www.campbellsequipment.com) ask for Mike. Insurance is very important because stuff happens and I know I would want to be compensated if some one caused a problem on my property.
  3. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

Becareful about putting flyers on mailboxes. I am pretty sure that is breaking a federal law, try hanging them on the door knob. Insurance is a must.

Good luck
  4. Grump-e

Grump-e LawnSite Member

I too am looking for a good dealer South of Atlanta. I'm not in a hurry. Just looking. I let everyone know if I find one.
  5. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. Even putting flyers on the mailbox, not in them is a federal offense. I get them on my mailbox all the time. One question still was not answered. What does bonded mean? Thanks again.

6. mikeswag

mikeswag LawnSite Member

I deal with ga turf and tractor. if you are in north fulton, they are the best. what area are you developing? I am in n. fulton.

7. DirtTwist

DirtTwist LawnSite Member

Hey, I'm in Fayetteville too. Its good to see some guys from around here. I'm about to graduate with a degree in horticulture but already starting doing a little landscaping around the county. Anyway, I'm on the look out for a good dealer too.
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

9. Nw. Shadesofgreen

Nw. Shadesofgreen LawnSite Member

Bonded means that you have a bond. This is usally set up through a surety company or an insurance agent.
    Where I am from you are only required to have a bond if you are installing something (landscaping, sprinklers, plants and even beauty bark).
    Basically it is in the amount of $4000.00 for a specialty contractor and $6000.00 for a general contractor. If you are hired to do a job and you walk off or do not finish the work then a person can file a claim against your bond.
    General if you are only doing maintenace on things that are already installed a bond is not required.
    I hope this helps, I suggest talking to your state licsensing department and they should be able to tell you if you will need one. If so call your insurance agent and he or she can get you a quote and the bond.

Good Luck
  10. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

Thanks Mike!!