Queston about estimates?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, May 6, 2002.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering when you guys give estimates on cleanups or extra work beside cutting grass if you give the customer just a ballpark estimate until your done to see how many hours it takes for the job? I was just wondering because I notice sometimes I will tell the customer a price, then the job ends up taking me longer than I thought and its hard to tell them its going to cost more than what I told them. Just wanted to know how you guys went about it? Thanks

Lasher66

2. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

It's either 1: fixed price OR 2: time/materials with rates provided.

No ballparking or surprises for me. I may ballpark to give a customer the "feel" of the job only to save myself the time of performing a written estimate because they really had NO concept of what the price range might be. Surprises lead to bad blood and AR problems at times.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's always best to go the other way. Most people won't say anything to you, however, it's what they think and say after you've gone. If you can give them a high figure, then sometimes, (especially if you feel it's a client who you will get future work from), you can always say to them "There was a little difference in price, here." (At that point, they get that sceptical look) "Though I quoted you this price for X amount, it actually only came out to this amount." That always brings a smile to their face, and a memory of you. Now, in your case, you are going to need to start being more careful on your bidding. Think high, but when you give them the price, you have to say it like. "I KNOW it won't be over X amount, and that of course includes all the ..." Or say for example. "It'll be somewhere around 150 to 175, a hundred and seventy five "tops"". See, this gives you that margin to work with. This is known as positive marketing. I hope this helps.;)

4. kbcjlc

kbcjlc LawnSite Member

I charge my customer by an hour. Rate vary from 20.00 to 35.00 an hour. Uusally when I have customers that are contract for turf care services, I tend to charge 20.00 to 25.00 an hour. If someone else who is not my custoemr and is first time, I charge 30 to 35.00 an hour. Always have to look at job site....

Keith