Quick 21" question please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iluvbermuda, Mar 13, 2005.

1. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

What's the best, in your opinion, non self propelled 21" mower for mulching and some side discharge.

2. iluvbermuda

from S/E TN

Anyone????

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You're not getting a response because this question is ask and answered daily and if you'll simply take the time to do a SEARCH you'll find probably 10,000 answers to your question.

4. iluvbermuda

from S/E TN

Glad you got time to write that and not a quick real answer. Sorry to bother you brother.

5. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I have used all commercial 21" available. The best in my opinion is toro proline. I just bought the new re-designed honda commercial HRC216. I was very disapointed in the proformance of the machine and just returned it. I think from now on I'll stick with the proven prolines.

6. volranger

volranger LawnSite Member

Yeah, you will get that response alot. Some on here will just reply to messages so they can write "DO A SEARCH!!!" It helps build their status on the number of posts.

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Do some research on side discharge for the Proline. It is a kit and have never used it, but don't think it is really designed to side discharge. They are awsome mowers for bagging or mulching though!

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have had a Toro Proline for a couple of years.

The side discharge is a joke! Not long after I got my mower, I borrowed a discharge chute from a local resident. I had seen him use it, and asked him about it. He quickly offered to loan it to me for a few days. Unlike the retired homeowner, who is able to mow when he wants (both the day and time of day when dry), I have to deal with what turf is on the property when I show up weekly.

Bottom line: if the grass quantity is light enough to allow the discharge chute to work, I could just as easily mulched. I was hoping to use it when the grass was still damp, or the growth was too much for mulch. That was not the case.

I returned the loaner, and never bought a chute for myself.

As a side note, I saw somebody selling these mowers on e-bay yesterday. One of the items was a "never used" discharged chute. Hmmm... wonder why it was never used.

For my conditions, a LawnBoy side bagger will run circles around the Toro for bagging in difficult conditions. I bought a LB last Spring during the heavy growth period because I had such bagging headaches with the Toro. The quality of machine, the quality of the Suzuki engine is great -- but the bagger in moderate to heavy grass, especially when wet ... terrible! As a mulcher, it does a moderately good job in grass, excellent job in leaves.

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

ACtually it has NOTHING to do with post count. I could care less what my post count is and never even look at it period. But it does have everything to do with using the site as it is designed. The Search feature is here for a REASON and that reason is to answer questions that have been beat to death like this one by providing a wealth of info on the topic. What it really is, is that some posters are just to lazy to take the time to research their question and just want the easy way out by just asking it and then not being active again on the site until they have another question that has been beat to death.

As a matter of fact in doing a search of your 12 post since 7/2004, four (4) of them were this exact same response to others who had posted the Search Response to a question, how did that help anyone. AT least those of us the post and a regular basis try and help where it is needed and telling someone to do a Search when we KNOW that the topic has been discussed time and again is help, not a bash as you insinuate.

10. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

With regards to subjects that have been hashed and re-hashed ad-nausium on this forum, the most efficient way to garner a wealth of information is to simply perform a "search".