1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quick 32" WB Review, First Impressions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Whitey4, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Got my Quick 32, with 15HP Kawi engine, pull start. I broke it out of the crate yesterday, and started her up today. I happen to have a bad case of the flu, so I didn't run it for more than 20 minutes, but that was enough for an initial review I think. Keep in mind this is the first mower bigger than a 21" that I ever operated.

Super simple controls. Started on the 4th pull out of the crate. Ran smooth as silk at all throttle settings. Pistol grips perfectly positioned for me at the lower setting, and the operator presence and forward speed controls are easy on the hands. The reverse lever is a little far away, and I have to see if I can adjust that a little bit, but instant reverse worked great, as advertised.

My backyard is full of ruts and dirt patches, courtesy of out 2 mutts that like to trash it and play in the mud. I was surprised at how smoothly this machine handled that terrain. My 21 would bounce and vibrate all over the place. The Quick acted and felt like it was smooth and level. Plenty of speed... it goes faster than I will ever likely mow with it.

Remembering what folks here said about leaning and not muscling it, I found it was very easy to turn, especially when the speed is lowered going in. The more you muscle it, the harder it is to turn. It's about body english. I was able to do some near perfect 180's, but still need some practice. What was even better is that the ground was a bit muddy, and I didn't put any divots in the turf when pivoting into a 180. I think someone mentioned going just a bit to the right before making a left hand 180.... I will have to work on that.

But, for someone who now has no more than 20 minutes on this WB (or any WB) I could use it to mow in front of a customer already and not get embarrassed.

I really loved all the most important things about it. But, there are a couple of things that are less than perfect for me, and all have to do with the discharge chute. First, you need two wrenches to install/remove it. It has to be removed to put the bagger on. This isn't the most convenient setup, and I will have to find a faster way to get the side discharge chute on and off. The chute also doesn't completely fold up and out of the way. Unless I am doing something wrong, it adds about 2 to 3"s of unnecessary width because it doesn't fully fold up and away. It barely got through my gate with the chute folded up, and at that, I took a sliver of wood off the gate post.

The Accelerator bagger is solid and toughly built, but one of the welds is too big, and doesn't allow the bagger to install properly. Not a big deal, I just have to file that weld down, but I'm a little surprised such an expensive bagger would have a flaw like that. Just looking at it would I think make one realize that the weld was too big. Next, the angle that the bagger needs to be turned at to get engaged onto the discharge mounting holes seems pretty steep. It looks like there will be some spillage when emptying a full bag. I found it a little clumsy to attach, but I'm clumsy to begin with, maybe I will get better at it!

I do like the way the bagger has such a fast install/remove system,and I want to find something equally convenient for the discharge chute. If I have a tight gate, I don't want to have to go get a couple wrenches. For my fall cleanups, I will have to change from the chute to the bagger often. I need a better way.

The most important things I am thrilled with! I can do reasonable 180's in less than 20 minutes on my first WB. Very easy to maneuver, extremely easy in fact. The deck.... where is that idiot that said BOP wasn't a commercial machine! HOGWASH! Yeah, that guy, the exMark dealer that was trying to sell his 26" monstrosity!

With the 15HP Kawi, this thing has power to BURN! I'm very happy I waited and got the 32 instead of the 36. I'm beyond thrilled, actually, with the one caveat about the discharge chute. I think I can modify that to my satisfaction.

The spare parts bonus pack promotion was awesome! Got extra blades, extra filters, extra spindle, a pulley, an idler, two spark plugs, extra oil, extra belts... even more... all for free as an end user promotion! And when I called even during the lunch hour, there was someone to talk to about the Accelerator bag weld problem. It was easy to jump the curb to put it into my shed. I think it was love at first sight!
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats great to hear about your Quick. Couple of questions. Have you tried starting since then, hopefully the 4 pulls to start isn't a big deal and is repeated? Any issues with turfing the ground? Jw. Thanks.
  3. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

HEY CONGRATS, why not leave the chute off i plan too. also i just got my bagger today for my quick and it seems fine to me. are you putting it on at a downward angle because you are suppose to..did you read the slip that cam with the bag which explains it? maybe you just got a bad weld? I called BOP today because my battery died and Tommy sent me a new one out right away free of charge...great service!! Anyway i believe most guys just keep the chute off,i thinkit discharges fine with it off.
  4. Whitey4

That's why I said out of the crate. I could tell on the first 3 pulls there wasn't any gas available in the cylinders to fire it up. I didn't stop it and start it back up either, I'm still trying to shake this flu bug, but I had to get out there and get it started up today. The ground was muddy, but even I as a WB rookie didn't tear anything up doing my first 180's. I need more practice though, for sure.
  5. Whitey4

I spoke to Tommy... it's just that the weld is too big. I have to file it a bit, that's all. Not a big deal. I'd rather use the chute, but find a quick install/remove modification I could use. That blade is right up on the side discharge when the discharge chute isn't on there. Leave it to me to find a way to take a toe off!
  6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

can you post pics when the flu is gone?
  7. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Did you get the mulch kit? I am trying to decide between the 32 or 36. I will be mulching 99 percent of the time. Just wondering how this mulches compared to the 3 blade 36inch.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the biggest mower you can use on your properties.....IMHO
  9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

See what gate size you need to get into if any, and go from there. If we had no gates at least for us it would be 44" all the way. But alas, we still love our 36's!
  10. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the review! Look forward to hearing more after you've mowed some props with it!