Quick 36-Good start up mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by forgop, Jan 8, 2005.

1. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

I'm going to get started in the biz part time this year in order to leave the corporate world. Nothing really provides more headache than being a supervisor in a union environment. Although the money is good, the hours are very long, the stress is high, and I'm just fed up of having to put up with whiney union employees.

Anyway, I plan on starting off very part-time in the biz as I work 6 days a week, 10-12 hours a day. My goal is to pick up 15-20 accounts in very close proximity to avoid as much windshield time and also because I could serve at least 5k homes within a 5 minute drive of my house. I'd say most of the average lawn are in the 7-8k square feet and want to use a mower most accessible to doing yards with fences at least, hence I think a 36" is the best choice for me.

Anyway, never having used a commercial walk behind and being in a position that I can't justify starting out with a $4k new walk behind, I had been in the market for a used walk behind maybe in the $1200 range and most likely belt driven. After doing some research, this has me quite intrigued about spending the extra money and getting something that can provide what seems to be a much better value and something that I could depend on using for a number of used than a walk behind that may have been worked pretty hard that may need a new engine without being used for a while.

Dollar for dollar and for my intended use, would you consider this to be the best value on the market? Thoughts/suggestions for something else are greatly appreciated.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I think a hydro 36" is looking good for you as well. I don't have any experience with the Better 36" personally, but I have met Gary and looked the machine over 2 years ago. It is a nicely built machine for the money. For smaller yards, under 10K, it may be perfect for you. I have been spoiled by Proslides and dual velkes over the years, but I hear they are working on a sulky for the Better unit as well. Also, they are putting a different engine on them this year ,I think..There are several members here that own a Quick 36, and can give you personal opinions. I haven't heard anything negative about them yet, so I would look into it. A new machine comes with a full warranty, where a used mower is just that,...used...Best of luck!