Quick 36 massive issues.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Took my quick to my last cut 2 nite. I cannot get the let to go up or down. I am unable to adjust the height. The bearing has seized. I tried everything..............anyone know what to do?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Take it to your local dealer and get it fixed.

Just kidding. Try soaking it with a penetrating oil like P.B. Blaster. Then while that's going on call Quick and get a replacement bearing sent out. If you have a parts manual look up the bearing number and see of you can get one locally.

3. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I am assuming that you are refering to the front caster shafts. They shouldn't have seized. I agree with Richard. It's probably rust. Spray it with penetrating oil. After it's soaked in you can carefully use a rubber or soft mallet to tap it out. You'll probably want to use some sandpaper or something similar to clean the shafts off.

-TAZ

4. wildweasel7648

wildweasel7648 LawnSite Member

Better does warn you about the shafts and recomends you remove the rust with emery cloth. I just coat them with a little WD-40 once a week or so and never have a problem.

5. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Greg;

little maintenance and I think your problem will be solved;

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/?page=Service+Tips%5FH%2Ehtm#Caster%20Fork%20Service

If the caster fork is stuck in the bearings, please resist the urge to beat on 'em with a hammer... it'll mushroom the end of the shaft and then you WILL have a problem. :hammerhead:

Just remove the linch pin and spacers (on top), clean the shaft and spray with some light lube like WD-40 or PB Blaster.

If they need to whacked, be sure to protect the end of the shaft with a piece of wood.

gp

6. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I used to have a problem with the shaft rusting and sticking. I would spray with penetrating oil but then it would seize again. I switched to Fluid Film and it stuck around and did the job - no more sticking.

7. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Soaked in oil, sprayed with WD and nothing. Still seized.

8. docta

docta LawnSite Member

Try PB Blaster(It's a different animal than WD-40), it worked for me. Also, this may be a little messy, but try spraying some on the bottom bearing. As was mentioned earlier, protect the top of the shaft if you have to use force.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

This is the 2nd post I have read about the casters getting stuck on the Q36. This will happen on ANY WB if you do not lube them. You need to grease them a minimum of once per week.
    BTW, DO NOT hit them with a hammer. Proper lubing and wriggling and they will slide out.

10. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

While we have the Big Guy looking at this post.... maybe he can shed some light on why they use bearings instead of long sleeve bushings and a zerk?

The only reason I can come up with is to keep hands from getting greasy?
    Does'nt really apply to me though, I set the height on my SD about a year and a half ago, have not messed with it since.