Quick 36 Ninja vs Sam

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Mar 5, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Am going to be ordering my Quick very soon....
    Anyone see any distinct disadvantages to the Ninja vs. the Sam.
    Both are Kaw powered but the Ninja is a horse less.
    Sam has electric start - but I don't see that as an advantage, just extra maintenance and expense with battery replacement/charging.

What are other's opinions?

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 SAMS ...never replaced a battery in over two years ...trust me ...you will come to love elecric start ! Take proper care of the battery and it will last a long time ...

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Envision a place where you are unable pull the recoil...IE next to a fence, in your trailer/truck, etc... I went through the same decision process...and since I decided to work out of my covered truckbed it became a no-brainer.

I presented the question of reliability in the mechanics section and got positive feedback endorsing an ES.

There are certainly good arguments for either a Samurai or Ninja. Should you ever want an electrical system (for lights or other electrical attachments) it will already be in place with the Samurai.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

bump - love peoples opinions...

5. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have never owned a Quick mower without electric start. When I bought my first one I thought "Oh my God, what happens if it doesn't crank...we're so busy, hot days....aaaaahhh". Whatever..

3 years later every Quick I've owned with electric start has cranked every time, even after our short 3 month winter with no maintenance. In fact the only time I can think of one of ours was dead was because someone left the key on.

And we service 30+ properties per day, 36 weeks per year with ours. So that is 30 + starts per day in the Texas heat, NO problems.

I wasn't sure at first either. Now you couldn't pay me to pull start one. Well, for the right price.....

6. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

36 weeks a year must be nice.....We need plows for the front of ours !!

7. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually this is sort of funny because believe it or not the day after my super duty 36 came to my house the battery died and i had to jump it. I have no clue as to why it died because it started right up the day i got it and i took the key out.
    The next morning i tried to start it and it was dead. Its been fine ever since so i think it was just to cold out that night and the cells froze or something.

8. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I shoveled snow for 25 years up North. Walking barefoot in TX in December with a margarita sure does help me with all those bad memories! :drinkup: