quick 36 on st.augustine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RYNOss, May 25, 2007.

1. RYNOss

RYNOss LawnSite Member

I have searched and not yet found any good info on how the Quick 36 will perform on st. augustine. I have read only good reviews, but this type of grass in a entirely different animal. It will wear you out just walking on it. I'm also concerned about the max height setting at 4 in. During the summer months I will normally cut at the 4.5-5 in setting with my Hustler Z's. Any feedback from anybody actually using this mower on st. augustine would be greatly appreciated.

2. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I use it with just fine results although I usually keep my St Aug lawns at 3 inches. I also mulch exclusively, I can't stand side discharge with clippings flying everywhere.

3. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

I'm also thinking about buying one of these machines to use on Zoysia grass. Any comments ???

4. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

It will give you a great cut on St Augustine.

Get the mulch kit and use the high lift blades with it for the best cut. Keep the gators for the fall or cleanups.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

it's native to Texas.... its almost all we have down here, it CAN get very tall and thick.... I have one customer that I cut his at 5" and it's a killer...
    some people like it tall, when it gets THICK,,,, It gets thick.... your right it can wear you out just walking across it... it will grow in shade,
    it goes to seed at diffrent hights, whitch I belive accounts for it's thickness. it has runners that can, and will go up to 3 feet, this grass will sperad like wildfire. and take over. it will choke out weeds. It will die if it gets too hot and you cant get water on it...." in texas when we have HOT summers you cant seem to get enoulf water on the grass" it's a wonderfull grass But If you have many customers with it... I would NOT recomand a mower that only goes to 4". if you cut 3 to 4 " off st augustine it will have a yellow look..
    it's like you have cut the green out of it.... some people love it high because it looks very pretty this way.... the taller grass is like a sponge when you walk on it ya kind of sink down a few inches. this allows for the mower setting to be " NOT RIGHT " you can set your mower at 5" cut the lawn and it will look like it's a 3 and sometimes a 2 " if you go too low, your still ok. it will look yellow but you did NOT kill it... it will come back to green in a day or two......

hope this helps

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Toward the mid part of this month on we will be cutting St Augustine on setting above 4" , anything less will create problems in the very very hot weather. Scag floating deck and Snapper get up high and the Wright Sentar Sport RH is the best.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Most of my lawns are now Floratam which is a St Augustine hybrid created by Texas A&M and FSU. It is much more heat and drought resistant. I cut it at 3.5 all season and never have a yellow problem. If you let it get too high and cut off more than 50% you will cut off the green part of the blade. The grass does "train" very well though. On topic I borrowed a Q36 Super Fox for a week from a friend and loved it. Great cut on a single pass with high lifts. Thinking hard about getting one for my gated backyards which seem to be everywhere today.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

ericg likes this.
  8. RYNOss

RYNOss LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, bohiaa is 100% correct concerning the actual height due to the "sponginess" of a thick St. Aug. yard. What height you think your mowing at doesn't really matter, its all about the finished product. I was thinking that the low weight of the quick 36 would compensate for the stated max height of four inches. Most of the yards here have irrigation, this stuff will brown in just a few days with out water. So the yards tend to stay very plush and I usually cut off 3-4 in of growth per week. I love the concept of this mower, I just wish I could demo one so that I know it will work for my properties.

9. TurfConcepts Inc

TurfConcepts Inc LawnSite Member

Floratam was developed by Texas A&M and the University of Florida. Sorry just had to correct you. I'm a UF Turf Sci grad and I hate FSU. Go Gators!!

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry bout that Turf Concepts you are correct on the Gator Grass. Just another innovation from that think tank along my most favorite and tasty beverage. Go through a gallon a day down here.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

ericg likes this.