Quick 36 Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gdguth, Jun 29, 2007.

1. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Lately I have had a number of problems with my Quick 36. First I have had a problem with the clutch on the mower. When I go to shut the blades off, they continue to spin. The only way I can get them to stop is to disengage the clutch lever, then let my hand off the brake control and then engage the blades again, causing the engine to automatically shut down, but then the blades will stop turning. Then i can restart the mower and the blades are off. Does anyone know what is wrong with the clutch? It is only a year old and it is actually the second clutch on the mower, which is three years old.

Another problem I just had today was the handle bars broke were the round tube steel turns into the flat steel down where the handle bars are bolted onto the mower. I couldn't believe this broke.

Last summer the deck cracked where it welded to the caster arm on the trim side. I was suprised by this also. I thought that I was easy on equipment and I feel it should hold up better to commerical use as I only mow about 10 yards.

I guess what I am saying is that I am not sure that the Quick 36 mowers can hold up for commercial use. This is only my third season with the mower and I have had many problems. I have always thought this was a great mower, but I am not so sure now. I won't go into detail about the engine problem that I have had. That is Briggs & Strattons problem not BOP.

The good part is that I have loved the easy of use of the quick 36 being very compact and the cut quality is great. I also enjoy the prices of BOP products compared to others.

I thought i would just share my experinces with you. Thanks

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks... we need a small walk behind as we are now taking properties with small gates. I been thinking about the quick... it wont see much use and its half the price of the other mowers I been looking at. Might have to think again on this.

To be fair... what has BOP done as far as help with any of these problems. Another question is... are you running the mower yourself or are your crews abusing it ?

3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes...dont buy the mower because of one bad apple. lol I mean..Ive never seen an Exmark, Hustler or Toro in a shop before. C'mon! Until this year I was cutting 40 weekly accounts with my Samurai---all by its lonesome. Never had a single issue except I broke a belt.

Seriously...do a search and see how many positives there are to that negative.

4. gdguth

from Midwest

BOP has always tried to help me solve the problem at hand. When the clutch went out the first time, they tried to help me figure out went wrong. Well, I found out that the gears were stripped in the clutch. So I bought a new clutch, because it wasn't under warranty.

When the deck broke I told them about the problem and they apoligized, but the only thing for me to do was to have it welded by a local welding shop. I suppose that is what I will have to do to have the handle bars fixed also.

As far as the clutch problem this time, I called them about a month ago when I first had a problem and they said to spray lube or WD 40 or penetrating oil of some sort in the clutch where the arm sticks out. So I did this and the clutch worked on and off again. I recently sent them an email about the continued clutch problem and the engine problem, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Also I am a one man crew. I mow about 10 or so yards by myself. I do have a few yards that are very uneven or rough, but I think any piece of commercial equipment shoud be able to hold up just fine.

5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude...call em...they will help you right away. Forget emails.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

This thread sounds fishy to me.
    HHMMM??????

Handlebars broke? Deck broke? With only 10 accounts?????
    I smell BS!!!! or either it fell off the trailer going down the highway.
    I want to see some pics.

7. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Your situation is inconsistent with my experience, and I would venture to say, the vast majority of Quick owners.

You must be mowing some really, really rough yards or, like Grits indicated, you are full of it.

8. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

who knows, but the chosen wording is fishy to me as well... i dont know why but it is.

9. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I also have had problems with my Quick 36. It has now been relegated to back up only. If I let it sit for more then a few days it doesn't have the power to turn over. I have to hook it to a battery charger to get it to start. If you are interested in my issues and responses you can read this thread.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=175151

10. gdguth

from Midwest

I will try and get a picture of the cracks for those who don't believe me and think this is fishy