Quick 36 Super Duty VS. Samurai Review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howard Roark, May 31, 2007.

1. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We received another Quick mower to our fleet today, a Samurai, so I thought I would do a review of both mowers to help others choose according to their own needs. Keep in mind our SD is an 06' model, and the Sami is an 07'. Upon un-crating it (always a workout in itself, and that "kid on Christmas day" feeling never goes away no matter how many of these you order) the obvious differences are the giant muffler on the Kawi and the new control system, as opposed the Briggs and older style linkage. After light assembly of the handle bars and battery, we fired it up. It wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be, as I knew the Super Duty was louder. I did run it without muffs, and it was noticeably quieter than the Briggs, just not as quiet as I thought. No big deal.

First noted, the response of the controls and maneuverability of the machine. I knew the Kawi would cut better than the Briggs, so it was mostly speed and quickness we were looking for. Reverse was set a bit too fast for us and forward way too slow, and an obvious easy cable adjustment cleared it up. Ain't no money made in reverse!

I only got a chance to cut my own backyard with it this evening, on side discharge and as mentioned it was fast in the turns with great control. The new controls are extremely comfortable and large, and Z-turns are very easy. Speaking of which, for those who are concerned with turning this mower, you do not have to whip it around 180 degrees on your own. Reverse on a single hydro is your buddy. :cool2: Any other turns are easily made while going forward. Keep it moving and don't try to muscle it, and it's a breeze.

I'll be giving this mower the ultimate test tomorrow as we've been a bit backed up from rains here and I'll be out on a crew myself for 30+ lawns. The + part = when I give out.

Stay tuned for the full update of the 07" Samurai!

2. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

Hi, I've been interested in these mowers for a while now. I'm looking to get the 44 as most of my lawns are around 1/4 acre and relatively flat. Do you have any experience with the 44? And do you think it is better with the 14.5 briggs, or is it worth it to shell out another 300 for the kawasaki? I'm only mowing about 1 day a week now part time, but want to get the best machine for me.
    Thanks!

3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool Review! I was curious about the 07 Samurais with the new hand controls. I have the 06 model...which I love. I know the Christmas day feeling too!! I wonder if I can take mine to Gary...and have him crate it back up...so I can do it again hahaha. Oh and Howard---SEND SOME RAIN TO THE CAROLINAS!

4. Howard Roark

from Texas

I personally do not have any experience with the 44, and most likely will not due to the majority of the gates here only allowing for a 36" to pass through, some but not many even smaller.

I would love to test one out someday as having used both upper models of the Quick, and dealt with Gary first hand as well as his staff, that I'm fully intrigued by this company and absolutely amazed by the customer service I've received from them.

However, to somewhat answer your question...

Having now logged many hours on the Super Duty with the Briggs 16, not 14.5, and swapping over and personally getting the chance to use the Sami with the 16 Kawi, I would ABSOLUTELY save up the measly $300 for the Kawi on the 36 or 44. You will not regret it!

I personally mowed over 60 lawns in two days with our new Sami, and yes I'm tired as hell as anyone would be with any mower. These lawns had a variety of conditions, including weekly and Bi-weekly, southern St. Augustine and Bermuda, as well as 60% weed filled lawns. We've also been experiencing a lot of rain here in Austin, so this gave a great test, especially with the bi-weekly accounts.

The first full day with the mower I used it on side discharge, and even in 8 inch high St. Augustine with dew in the morning I could not bog the mower at full speed. The Briggs is good, but this is awesome. Of course we had to blow quite a bit more to clean up the side discharge clippings everywhere.

Today, I threw on the mulch kit. At 32 lawns, this mower only bogged down "slightly" in what I would say was one 10 inch tall Bermuda lawn, bi-weekly, heavily watered and fertilized. It was no big deal, and I made 5 extra passes to clean up the straglers, and off we went.
    On all the St. Augustine lawns with the mulch kit, never once did I have to double pass with no extra strands sticking up even on lower settings which is common on this grass.

We all thought the machine felt lighter than the SD as well, while using and also while changing the front height spacers. Speaking of height, SD users beware....if you are used to grabbing the deck in a certain area when changing the rear adjustment, you most likely cannot put your hands in the same position on this machine due to the large, and VERY hot muffler! It's still easy to change, but if you're used to grabbing the deck with two hands with your thumbs on top and putting where you need it in a second, keep in mind this requires a second more of finesse for safety. We move very fast on our routes, and all I can say is OUCH. But it will never happen again I assure you...

I would definitely say the added productivity due to the stronger motor is well worth the price for the Samurai. A few of my guys still seem to love the SD though, and it is a great mower. But once you go Sami.... :usflag:

5. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

Thanks man, I figured it would be worth it, but I wanted to know firsthand from a user. Well, I guess that means another $300 outta my already small fund, but glad to know it will be worth it.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard such good things about the Quick products and customer service I can only say I want one ... I think I want the 44" machine. However, I'm waiting for Gary and the "Better" team to complete development and of their dual hydro machines ... when that happens they will low the roof off their competition.

Gary has indicated in another thread here on Lawnsite that they are working on this and in E-Mail correspondence has asked that we be patient with them ... I don't think it will be much longer until it is rolled out.

7. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I'm picturing a machine w/Dual Hydro-Gear ZT2800 hydrostatic transaxles...

Eh, why not?

8. Howard Roark

from Texas

I already told Gary to save me the first dual models off the line for us! When those come out I imagine Gary will just end up buying his own island or something. :drinkup:

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, why notn that's a good hydro system ... however, I think Gary may get a better deal from their current vendor for the single hydro. I think it's Tuff Torque isn't it ? If he gets all his transaxles from the same vendor they will give him a better price for higher volume ... which would mean lower prices for us ... hey, that's OK with me.

10. Howard Roark

from Texas

Here's a pic of our latest grip upgrade on our Quicks.
    These happen to be Bell models from "gasp" Walmart, only because the bike shops are all closed on Sunday here so I couldn't readily get some new Oakley's or whatever is the hot grip these days. Can't complain as they were $5 per pair.

A good grip trick from my BMX racing days...

Use Hairspray on the bars and inside the grip to install. Your wife/girlfriend/you will never know it's missing, and it dries on nice and tight. We'll test the Bell's tomorrow on the SD and Sami to see how they work.

Quick new grips.jpg