Quick 36 "SuperDuty" Review Part II

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CaptainDing, Mar 24, 2005.

1. CaptainDing

CaptainDing LawnSite Member

Hey guys...a little up date, got the "Step-Saver today and installed it. Installation was easy and only took about 45 minutes total. A note to the people who have St. Augustine grass (Yes I know you guys up north think it's a weed) LOL!! Anyway for those that have St. Augustine you might consider taller tires for your Step-Saver when you get it. I found that with the original tires that are on the Step-Saver (9X3.50-4) are just to short for this type of grass...when moving through the grass the tires where too short thus making the deck you stand on rub on the grass pretty good, almost to the point that the rear wheels want to spin. When I tried it on Bahia, there wasn't a problem, just the St. Augustine. For those unfamiliar with St. Augustine grass it's somewhat spongy when you walk on it, so with the short tires it sinks into the grass where the underside of the deck you are standing on kind of drags across the grass...But here is the solution! I went down and bought 2 new tires (11x400-4) and it totally corrected the problem. The tires are turf saver tires made by Carlisle and cost me $28 with installation. The added height which was about 2" was all it took. So if your having the same problem just get you some taller tires. The taller tires did not upset the geometry of the linkage on the Step-Saver either. A comment about the deck adjustment....I too noticed when I tried to change my deck height in the rear that a star washer had hung up in the slot behind the flat washer making it a little stiff to move the deck...fixed that and now it moves up and down very easily. When I had the rear tires off to put on the bracket for the Step-Saver, I also marked the decal adjustment with a center punch and hammer so in case the decal ever comes off, you still have a reference point for the rear deck adjustment...might save some wasted time later on. Okay now for the ride on the Step-Saver....I have never used a velky before so it took some getting use too. After mowing my lot next door in about 20 minutes, I was almost a pro at it. Took a little getting use to turning but it's all in the hips. When turning right, swing your butt to the left and the opposite when turning left. After I got use to it, I could almost turn it 180 degrees in the same tracks...almost. The more I use it the simpler it will be. The taller tires didn't affect the way it turned either...just my hips Baby! Talk to you later....DING

[​IMG]

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The smaller tires were probably on there for a reason...

Try backing the mower up and see if the sulky will still rotate underneath of the arm. If it won't I sure hope you don't have to back the mower up very far.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Get Back to Us after 2k Hrs.

4. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Those tires are very close to the deck. Is that L bolt on the sulkey strong enough? It does look cute.

Either way thanks for posting a good picture of it.

5. CaptainDing

CaptainDing LawnSite Member

Richard...I'm sure the smaller tires were on there for a reason but In St. Augustine grass that we have here in the south, it wouldn't work well because the tires were not tall enough without the platform running flat on the grass. The steering has NOT changed one bit, matter of fact I did back it up quite a bit just playing with it, trying to get the feel for it. Either way it corrected the problem I was having. The only reason I even did a review was to give possible owners an incite. If this mower isn't for you, so be it but there is quite a few people that would like to get as much info as they can before they purchase, like I do. Just trying to give back.

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Ding,
    Way to go,hope the bigger wheels is all it needed.

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a nice set up.

8. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I always thought the Quick 36 was a manual turn mower. Is that the case? If so, Im just wondering how you sulky? Do you have to step off the sulky when turning? Or am I wrong about it being manual turn?

At any rate congrats on the purchase, and I wish you lots of luck with it.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

lawn dog, you realy only guide the quick 36. it's not very hard to turn. have you seen my video showing how easy it is to turn yet?

10. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

No I havent. Do you have a link?