quick 36" vs. 48" belt drive

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Braxton, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Braxton

Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN

Okay, I have done the search thing and haven't found out what I need. As I have posted before, I am planning to start a new company this spring. I will be likely buying my first and only commercial mower for that business in the next couple of weeks.

I was pretty much convinced that I want a quick 36", but a fellow I work with (teaching) who is an experienced LCO say that a 36" is too small. So what do Y'all think? Should I buy a 48" belt instead?

One other consideration, I have about $2500 to spend. I do have access to a truck, though it isn't mine, and I do not have a trailer. Could I get a 48" in a truck? I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think so. I figure I can buy the Quick 36" and use it to start, and buy a trailer and bigger mower as I grow.

How long would an average subdivision lawn take with each? Happy to hear from anyone, but is there anyone from Middle TN (who would have a better idea of "average")?

Thanks.

Braxton

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Hard post to respond to with the limited info (sq ft of turf). 36" are nice because you can get in most back gates with them (double check the width on the quick 36 though because I seem to remember people stating that they alot wider than the 36" cutting width. This will be a PITA if you have a lot of accounts with back gates. Another option is a used mower in good condition. You are going to hear alot of stuff about hydro vs belt and fixed vs floating. If you are just starting out and have a lot of uneven ground a floating deck might be a little more forgiving. You should be able to get a decent belt 36" for the budget you have to spend. I just got a new Toro 36" fixed deck, belt, t-bar steering for $2200 from my dealer. Good luck!