Quick 36 vs Ferris Hydrocut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Sep 2, 2006.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I wanted to get some feedback from users of the Quick 36 and the Ferrris Hydrocut as to which unit is better, particularly as a mulcher since that's what we do a lot of. I like the Quick 36's weight and compact size but money wise, the Ferris 36" hydro seems like a better deal. I can get the Ferris 36" hydro for $3 400 Canadian while the Quick 36 goes for $3 200 with the Briggs 13 hp engine and $3 800 with the Kawasaki engine.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The ferris has a home owner tractor deck on it. Its as long as a football field too.

3. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I demoed the hydrocut before buying the quick 36. I dont' believe that the short time you have in a demo gives you a true accurate opinon of what the machine is but I tell you what my impressions were. Just treat it with a grain of salt........ YMMV

Cut on the Ferris and the Qiuck are similar in quality but the quick had a better natural stripe. Cut on the Quick is excellent.

I did not mulch with the Ferris so I can't help you out on that but I always mulch with the quick and I have had good luck with it as you saw on my thread.

The did not like the controls on the Ferris at all. The quick uses a simple squeeze lever. Reverse on the quick is thumb operated and it very stiff until it breaks in. Once it breaks in it's fine though.

Now this is where I noticed the difference. Size and weight. The hydrocut has a floating type deck and the extra hardware adds allot to the weight of the machine. It's also allot longer. Since both mowers are single hydro you have to manually turn them so the more wieght and the further it is away from the pivot (the rear tires) the more effort that it takes to turn and manuver. The Quick wins the manuverability comparison hands down. You can really whip the quick around in some tight areas and fly with it after you get used to it.

The upside to the Ferris is local dealer support if that is imortant but from my personal experince Better is top notch in supporting the mower with parts. The engines are standard so that any shop can work on them. I think you will find few if any complaints about the quick dispite no local dealer support.

What it comes down to with any of these decisions is to demo both units yourself and form your own opinions.

-TAZ

4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

The Quick 36 Wins Hands down...Thats all that I want from santa this year...Is a Quick 36 for next summer.