1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quick 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willretire@40, Nov 9, 2006.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I have one with a B&S engine. The problem that i am having with it is it is sometimes hard to start. It just sounds like it wants to turn over but it wont. Then it will start after a few trys. The other problem is that when it runs it isnt smooth and it is blowing oil out the muffler. It runs right for a second then it will die down and go back up to full throttle. It isnt the choke. I have changed the spark plug. What could it be. Has 250 hours on it. First problem i have had with this machine. Will take it to a BS dealer tomorrow unless you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance.
  2. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just a guess, but you may have a couple things happening at once.

1.) Sounds like you have a weak battery: is it full up to the line (on the side of the battery) with electrolyte? Are you battery cables corroded?

2.) You may have gotten a piece of trash in the needle valve, holding it partially open some/all the time. This will make it behave like it's flooded, hard to start, etc. Pull the dip stick and smell the oil... if it's over the full mark or smells like gas, you've definately got a leaker.

My .02

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure the choke is working properly.....closed when you start and then it should be open to run.