Quick 36?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Revival1906, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Revival1906

Revival1906 LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I currently have 12 regular accounts. I have purchased 1,000 door hanger (thanks to Matt’s lawn care’s advice) to increase customer base for next year. Currently, I only do lawn maintenance on weekends.

I am considering purchasing a quick 36 from betteroutdoorproducts.com. to increase productivity when I am working jobs alone (without twin 13 year olds) so that I can do more jobs faster.

I live approximately 1 mile from a STIHL/Toro/Gravely dealer and about 10 miles from an EXMARK dealer. I just purchased my Exmark Metro 21 this weekend. While there, the dealer quoted me $5,000 for a quality WB with step saver attachment. The most inexpensive Toro the other dealer had costs approximately $2,700.

If I purchase a quick 36 online, what would I do about service if it breaks down? Would it be best for me to spend more money to have the dealer 1 mile away from me or save money by purchasing the quick 36?

The EXMARK dealer told me his “quality” WB was better because I wouldn’t have to fight with it like I would with a quick 36. What does that mean?

With only 12 regulars (residential) and hopes for increasing to say 17-20 customers next season, is it wise to buy a quick 36 now or should I just continue to grow with the Metro 21 and residential Troybilt 21 that I currently have?

I don’t really understand yet the differences in the different quick 36 models to make an educated purchase. Which model do you think would be best in my situation?

These are my questions. Please answer as many as you can. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

The quick 36 has one hydro to run both wheels The exmark has dual hydors to run each wheel. Maintenance is better to know for yourself to cut cost on taking it to the dealer. If your mechanicly inclined you should have no problem servicing your machines.I think in your case you should keep the overhead low thou. Does your properties you service have hill or are they flat?
    Just my two cents.

3. Revival1906

from Alabama

Two of my customers have a steep front yards (sloping downward towards the street) and no back yards. One has a sloped front yard sloping downward towards the house. Three are huge corner lots. The rest are average size relatively flat lots.

4. Cracker Station

Cracker Station LawnSite Member

If you can at all afford it...get a quick 36. Best bang for the buck. Any small engine repair should be able to service it, but from what I understand, it is very easily serviced by the least mechanically inclined. You should be able to keep the oil changed, change blades and belts and so forth. No more yards you are planning on having, sounds like the Q36 is your best bet. Take the difference and sock away, or upgrade ya hand held equipment. That is JMHO.:weightlifter:

5. Revival1906

from Alabama

Does it matter which one? Can I get away with buying the cheapest one based on my current customer base + say 10 new customers? I'm too "green" to really understand the difference. I am good at following product instructions though.

MKII
    Super Fox
    Samurai

6. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes either one will work for you its just that one is built better than thee other one. Look at like this you want to be producttive with low overhead.
    I say go with quick 36. JUST BECAREFUL ON THOSE HILLS.:hammerhead:

7. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I agree all of models are good but if you want a heavy duty one go with either the super duty or the samurai. When i got mine i ordered the super duty 4 sets of blades, extra belts, a spindle, and a mulching plate, came to my door.It came to $3000.00. Like WALKER LANDSCAPE said the quick 36 is your best bang for your buck.O yea the customer service there at better is great.:)

8. Revival1906

from Alabama

Thanks guys, I purchased the MKII model yesterday.

Sidenote...I'm expecting my doorhangers anyday now. I just mailed out a letter to my 12 customers thanking them for their business last season and having them fill out a questionnaire about my service and requests for next season. Should I advertise right now or wait until late February or March? I want about 5 - 10 more regulars to fill up my weekends.

We rarely have long/bad winters here in Alabama. Any Alabama LCO's on this site?

9. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

According to the Q36 site the Super Duty is "sold out".

Possibly discontinued?

10. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Our inventory of 2006 Super Duty's is sold out. We haven't started production on the '07 S-D yet, but it's alive and well!:cool2:

gp