Quick 44, Bobcat WB, or ZTR - help me decide...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tip184, Apr 16, 2008.

1. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner with 1.4 acres to mow - lots of trees and pretty rough ground. I ran a 48" Scag belt-drive walk-behind for a few years until my wrists developed de Quervain's syndrome (sort of like Carpal Tunnel), probably NOT from using the mower but mowing was not easy with this condition. Wrists are a lot better now, and the MTD lawn tractor that I bought to replace the Scag is about shot, so it's time for a new machine. Here's some background:

- I'm 52 and like to think I'm in shape, but I know that a walk-behind would give me valuable exercise.

- I liked the Scag a lot- bought it used and I think it would have lasted the rest of my life. Makes me want another walk-behind.

- I have a bountiful leaf harvest in the fall - currently use the MTD to pull an agrifab Mow-N-Vac that does a good job, but the Mow-N-Vac's B/S engine is not doing well, so I will either replace/rebuild the engine or replace the leaf collector.

- MTD stamped 46" deck is really beat up - makes me value a fabricated deck like the Scag had.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Buy a Quick 44 - looks pretty impressive and should be pretty easy on my wrists. Keep the MTD for pulling around the leaf collector (current one or a new one). This gets me a commercial-grade machine with a fabbed deck - ought to last me a long time in residential use, and I think I can keep the MTD going for fall usage - maybe even put some Gators on it to help mulch the leaves.

2. Local dealer has a new Bobcat 48 WB for less than the Quick. I'm worried about my wrists with a belt-drive, plus this has the 1-cylinder Kohler, and I like the 2-cyl Kawasaki on the Quick. Plus the Bobcat is probably about twice as heavy as the Quick - probably not as maneuverable. But I get a local dealer and a machine that, like the Scag, will probably last forever.

3. Buy a Cub Cadet RZT 50 for about the same price as the Quick - bigger deck and I get to ride, plus it will pull a leaf collector like the Cyclone Rake (or so Cyclone says). Probably do my yard pretty fast - faster than the Quick I would guess. Drawback - it's not commercial grade - stamped deck might end up all beat up in 3 or 4 years like the deck on my MTD - spindles not greasable... Or I could get the RZT 42 for less than the Quick...

I realize that lots of you will have opinions about other brands - I'll listen. Lawnsite has been a great source of information and I know that many of you will want to set me straight before I make a serious mistake.

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Of the three you listed, buy the Quick Samurai 44 w/Step Saver. BOP is a outstanding company with superior customer service. Give them a call and ask for Tommy Thompson. www.betteroutdoorproducts.com :usflag:

3. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

Why the Samurai and not the Ninja? I view the electric start as just one more thing that might go wrong, and I don't see the need for the extra hp.

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Saw your post on another thread.

If you like the Scag then get another! You can get a sulky and will still get plenty of exercise mowing the lawn.

Going with the Quick wont make you happy after having a Scag!

5. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

Belt-Drive Scag won't work for me - effort to squeeze the handles will be too much for my old wrists (weakened by de Quervain's). Dual hydro walk-behinds also require a lot of squeezing - maybe a different control system (T-bar? - I don't know the names) would work, but the cost is excessive for my use. So - homeowner grade ZTR like the Cub RZT 50 or 42 (and I expect the deck to be pretty beat up in a few years) or commercial grade Quick.

I'm worried about using the Step-Saver on my yard - not neatly manicured, lots of trees - will I end up stowing it most of the time?

Thanks to all for the replies!

6. 439

439 LawnSite Member

Tip184 where in Michigan are you located. I picked up a Quick 36 at the end of last year to mow my place and my Dads. I like the set up of the mower, but haven't had any grass to mow yet (should be soon) If you want to look at it let me know.

7. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

Live in Marshall, work in Albion. Nothing to mow here yet, either, but I need to be ready. This weekend's pretty busy for me, but checking out your 36 sounds like a good idea. Did you get the Step-Saver?

8. 439

439 LawnSite Member

I'm in Clawson or Oxford. I didn't get the step saver, still feel the need to walk.