Quick 44 Speed adjustment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tip184, Apr 29, 2008.

1. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

Somebody on this site posted about increasing the forward speed on a Quick (resulting in a slower reverse), but did not detail the method. I see nothing about this on the BOP site (maybe I missed it). I'm considering getting the Quick 44, and wonder if anyone sees a problem with such an adjustment or can indicate how it's done. Maybe Gary or somebody at BOP can comment - good idea, bad idea, warranty breaker? Thanks!

2. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

Okay - I found this at the BOP Service Tips site:

----------
    It's important to note that as you adjust the cables, you're effecting the "stroke" of the hydro control at the transmission. Since the cables operate in a "closed loop" system, you should adjust both cables by nearly equal amounts. Over-adjusting just one of the cables will result in robbing the other cable of a portion of its travel (and a reduction of ground speed in that direction).
    ------------

And something similar in their down-loadable owner's manual. No indication that you can boost forward speed beyond 5 mph, but I'm guessing that playing around with these settings would answer my question. (And I'm not sure why I would want to go faster than 5 mph without the Step-Saver...)

3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well I just purchesd one today and was wondering the same thing. I used it today and it cuts very well, but I would like it to be faster if at all possible. I do have the step saver. I mulched 3 inch+ thick bermuda with it set on 1 3/4 inch, did very well, never bogged down.

Would like to go faster though.

Any help???

4. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Find the adjusters on each cable (should be right behind the fuel tank), and trace one up to find your forward cable. Screw that one out and count the turns, say starting with two. Then screw the other (reverse) cable the opposite way two turns. See if forward is now faster, and reverse is now slower. If so, continue with equal turns of each the exact same way until you reach your desired speed. If you start with the above and reverse is actually faster and forward is slower, just do the opposite. I can't remember which way you turn it to get it faster, but I believe the above example is correct. Again, if not just do the exact opposite.

5. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I will try that.

6. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

Can anyone from BOP or anyone who knows this transmission well let us know if this can cause any damage or premature wear? Thanks!