quick ? about greasing spindles on mowing deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by draftlawncare, Mar 1, 2007.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

i need to grease the deck on my lazer z ..i pulled the bearings and they are sealed what do i need to do as far as greasing the spindle housing just pack it full of grease and reinstall .

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You don't do anything. They use a special grease that doesn't run when heated so it stays stuck to the bearings. If you put regular grease in it the special grease will no longer work as designed. Leave it alone and put it back together. When the bearings go bad replace the spindle housing. Welcome to Exmark's non greasable spindle bearings.

3. draftlawncare

so there should be no grease in the housing itself ......seems kind of strange what keeps moisture out of the housing looks like it starting to rust on the inside of the housing

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That's the way Exmark wants them. The grease they use is similar to Bentonite grease that is used in Pearless gear drive transmissions. Both greases are designed to stay stuck even when heated. Regular bearing grease gets thin and runs when heated.

5. draftlawncare

thanks for the help

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Thats why they call them "sealed bearings" they are supposed to remain "sealed"

7. draftlawncare

duhhhhhhhhhh :rolleyes: if you read the thread you will see i was talking about the housing itself not the bearings

8. Illini_Fan

Illini_Fan LawnSite Member

The shaft is only thing inside the housing, besides the bearings. It doesn't need to be bathed in grease and rust will not hurt it and should be minimal.

Mark