Quick aeration question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigEd, Feb 23, 2001.

1. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I will start my own lawn care company this year and was wondering when you do aeration do you remove the plugs from the lawn surface afterwards,or leave them there to break down.The company I worked for did not aerate so I'am new to this part of the business.I did a few searches and learned alot but this never came up.

Thanks, Ed

2. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

Leave them there. They will break down eventually and go back in to the soil. It is more beneficial for the lawn. Plus, you would be there all day trying to pick them up. Your mower will also get them over time.

3. Turfclippings

Turfclippings LawnSite Member

Goto Textron.com and see if you can get a aerification kit sent to you. Or call them. i had a kit sent last year and it very informative and has info to give to customers as well to explain the process.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Turfclippings, I went to textron.com and could not find info about aeration,weher do you find it?

5. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

turfco.com

is another site. I received a "fall money maker kit" last year which had brochures in it on aerating and overseeding. At the time it was free. They also sell the brochures for $5 for 50 of them.

6. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks for the info guys.I will check out Turfco and Textron.What is the average rate for aeration,double or triple the price of a cut??

7. zipp669

zipp669 LawnSite Member

where i am at is $5/1000..min is $35 up to 7000 sqft
    I have a 5' turfco 3 pt and charge $3.50/1000 on big job.
    they say it varies from $2 to $4/1000 higher in omaha than Des Moines. each region will be different
    good luck

8. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder how many years it would take, of two annual aerations, where you picked up the cores each time, to end up removing 3" of topsoil to where you would then be able to charge for top dressing to rebuild that back up to the sidewalks and curbs again?

9. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

The ONLY place you even think about removing the cores is on a golf course green. Even then, you topdress enough to return it to a playable condition. Residential lawns Should be aerated every year. The cores break down and provide a kind of topdressing. Usually within a couple of weeks of an aeration, breakdown has occurred, and you can't even tell there's been a evasive procedure.

10. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

Hope you guys don't mind if I jump in here with a quick question. How long do you wait to mow after aerating? It seems the plugs would dull blades pretty fast.